If I run a game in 2k/4k on a 1080p monitor will I see increased fidelity?

Solution
yeah, but you're sacrificing frame rate cuz you'd be making the GPU process stuff at a far higher resolution, so it might only do 1/2 or 1/3 of the frame rate you'd get if you kept it at 1080p. if the output frame rate at the 2k/4k is still above 60fps then you'd probably benefit from the extra processing, but if it results in an output frame rate of 17fps or something like that, it's probably just making your experience worse.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
yeah, but you're sacrificing frame rate cuz you'd be making the GPU process stuff at a far higher resolution, so it might only do 1/2 or 1/3 of the frame rate you'd get if you kept it at 1080p. if the output frame rate at the 2k/4k is still above 60fps then you'd probably benefit from the extra processing, but if it results in an output frame rate of 17fps or something like that, it's probably just making your experience worse.

Solution

WildCard999

Titan
^I agree, you need to make sure you have enough GPU power to run it smoothly, I typically only use DSR on games that I know my system can run @highest settings @4K which is really only anime style games or a game like Mad Max which was perfectly optimized @2K.

Will_32

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
Meant to reply but accidently made you the solution congrats, anyway yea I'm getting a 1070 is all so I will be able to run into 2k resolutions, I would get a 2k monitor but I'd rather 144hz, and I'm not prepared to pay for a 144hz + 2k monitor right now not to mention the 1070 wouldn't be powerful enough to utilize the fps at that res anyway (in most games)