Sleep mode on computer made router stop working

ccm2540

Commendable
May 27, 2016
I usually don't use sleep mode on my desktop computer, but today I figured I would since I would only be gone for a few hours. Immediately after doing so, my Belkin router went to flashing red. (No connection) I turned the PC back on and it wasn't getting a wired connection either. The mouse wasn't working either upon waking up. Now I'm leaving where I was needing to go. I'm sure I can fix it when I get back, but I was wanting to know how putting my computer to sleep would cause this.

Solution
Go into control panel > system and security > system > device manager > network adapters > find your network card (mine says realtime PCIe GBE) open that, go to Power Management and UNCHECK allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

After I did that my router no longer turns off/goes to standby when my computer is . Off.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/why-does-my-router-stop-transmitting-internet/72e475e8-7311-4e1d-820b-153bc10b335e

try running an anti virus scan

Colif

Win 11 Master
its unlikely the PC had anything to do with router losing signal, but the PC not having a signal after makes sense as I assume you get Ethernet via the router.

Not sure about mouse, is it a wired mouse or wireless?

You could update motherboard drivers and any USB device drivers you have. Look see if you have latest BIOS as well.

ccm2540

Commendable
May 27, 2016

Everything is up to date and this is actually the second time this has happened. The first time was a while ago. I haven't used sleep since (until now). Something really weird is happening. The mouse is wired by the way.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Go into control panel > system and security > system > device manager > network adapters > find your network card (mine says realtime PCIe GBE) open that, go to Power Management and UNCHECK allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

After I did that my router no longer turns off/goes to standby when my computer is . Off.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/why-does-my-router-stop-transmitting-internet/72e475e8-7311-4e1d-820b-153bc10b335e

try running an anti virus scan

Solution

ccm2540

Commendable
May 27, 2016

I'll do that when I get home.