Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 question

Meraut

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016
Okay so i''ve been trying to upgrade my Windows 7 to 10 via the service but it always hangs at 99% for an uncomfortable amount of time. My question is, if i use a genuine windows 10 install dvd can i still activate my fresh install as a genuine upgrade/fresh install windows 10? The product key is assigned to my newly built pc.

Solution
Since build 1511 (around last december) windows 10 installs would accept win7/8 keys through clean install from bootable media.
If you lack that, you can get the download tool for iso/dvd/usb from MS: just check that the version (32 or 64 bit) and language of current windows matches the new one. (I believe you can change windows 10 language freely after install)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Thus as long as you have windows 7/8/8.1 license key, you should be set. (write it down if you are missing the sticker)

Only case when you would need to buy new windows10 license is if the old windows 7/8 license was activated on different hardware (pretty much tied to motherboard) If it is activated now before...
Since build 1511 (around last december) windows 10 installs would accept win7/8 keys through clean install from bootable media.
If you lack that, you can get the download tool for iso/dvd/usb from MS: just check that the version (32 or 64 bit) and language of current windows matches the new one. (I believe you can change windows 10 language freely after install)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Thus as long as you have windows 7/8/8.1 license key, you should be set. (write it down if you are missing the sticker)

Only case when you would need to buy new windows10 license is if the old windows 7/8 license was activated on different hardware (pretty much tied to motherboard) If it is activated now before upgrade attempts, it should be fine after boot/clean install also.

Solution

Meraut

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016

Yeah it auto authorized off my old windows 7 key, awesome! Thank you for the assistance!

TRENDING THREADS