Does restoring my hard drive deleted windows 10 (OEM)

xWin

Honorable
Oct 18, 2014
If I completely restore my hard drive will I lose my windows 10 and have to rebuy? I have OEM version so no disk I could reinstall on. Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
if you are lacking install media, microsoft offers download for free:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Only thing to note when downloading is that you need to choose same version (32bit or 64 bit) and same language as your current install.
Since existing windows installation is activated, you don't need the license key on reinstall/wipe/clean install either. (writing it down wont hurt you though, it is good idea to have a backup.)

Said download doesn't care if your license is Retail or OEM (OEM just means that it is tied to the motherboard and changing that means you need to buy new windows license)

If you mean, "restore to old year 2014 backup image" then it gets bit iffy. Yes, it wont be windows 10...

USAFRet

Titan

Just reinstalling the OS? No need to buy new.
Of course, this depends on what you mean by "restore".

if you are lacking install media, microsoft offers download for free:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Only thing to note when downloading is that you need to choose same version (32bit or 64 bit) and same language as your current install.
Since existing windows installation is activated, you don't need the license key on reinstall/wipe/clean install either. (writing it down wont hurt you though, it is good idea to have a backup.)

Said download doesn't care if your license is Retail or OEM (OEM just means that it is tied to the motherboard and changing that means you need to buy new windows license)

If you mean, "restore to old year 2014 backup image" then it gets bit iffy. Yes, it wont be windows 10 anymore (and would be 7 or 8 or 8.1) but as far as I know, there is no real reason why it wouldn't work. (I'm not sure though, I think only Retail copies had the downgrade rights)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS