Seeking monitor purchase advice for new GTX 1080 build

Prasad1337

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
Hey guys. So I just ordered a new desktop (migrating from gaming laptops) with the GTX 1080. I'm also looking to make the move from 1080p to 1440p gaming. I was considering the Acer G257HU. This is my criteria for a monitor: >=27", IPS, 1440p, 144Hz. I'm not interested in G-Sync. Unfortunately, the Acer G257HU is only 25" and 60Hz. and I was looking to find a 27" equivalent that's 144Hz. Then I found the Acer XG270HU which satisfies that criteria but unfortunately isn't IPS. What's my best bet to satisfy a majority of my criteria without shelling out significantly more cash; or what among my criteria would you guys recommend I should prioritize in terms of maximizing bang per buck and value to me coming from mid-range 1080p gaming on a small laptop screen ?

Solution
Unfortunately there aren't a ton of options that match those criteria. This is about the cheapest you'll find: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/c298TW/asus-monitor-mg279q

If you are set on 1440p I would definitely get 27"+, no less. Lets get that out of the way.

What is your goal with this build? What games do you want to play? Highly competitive multiplayer FPS then get 144Hz no matter 1080p or 1440p.

Otherwise, have you ever used a 144Hz monitor? I can personally attest that in most single-player titles I can't notice much, if any, difference between 144Hz and 60Hz. Maybe that's just me.

Any reason why you need IPS? Do you often game or watch movies at angles besides looking straight at the screen?
Unfortunately there aren't a ton of options that match those criteria. This is about the cheapest you'll find: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/c298TW/asus-monitor-mg279q

If you are set on 1440p I would definitely get 27"+, no less. Lets get that out of the way.

What is your goal with this build? What games do you want to play? Highly competitive multiplayer FPS then get 144Hz no matter 1080p or 1440p.

Otherwise, have you ever used a 144Hz monitor? I can personally attest that in most single-player titles I can't notice much, if any, difference between 144Hz and 60Hz. Maybe that's just me.

Any reason why you need IPS? Do you often game or watch movies at angles besides looking straight at the screen?

Solution

Prasad1337

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016

I play long range in FPS games but 60Hz is all I've used so far and never had any issues with it. I don't mind skipping 144Hz entirely, in which case I'd be looking for the cheapest (hopefully with slim bezels) 27"+ 1440p IPS display.
Does IPS only have the angular advantage? AFAIK, having 100% sRGB gamut on the IPS presents a more wholesome color production and viewing experience, compared to the 72% on standard TN panels.