Loosing permission to file after moving it.

PatheticGamer

Honorable
Feb 27, 2016
So my problem is that when I move file from one folder to other , I lose permission to that file (For example when I move file from Desktop to any other folder), even tho i am Administrator. The weirdest is that it didn't happen before. Can somebody please help me? P.S. This happens to all kind of files, .exe's, .zip and so on.

Solution
Think every win 10 user is in a workgroup... maybe. Look at this link below and see if you are in a homegroup or not.

I use this site as they give clear descriptions, its not an attack on you: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-set-up-a-homegroup-network-in-windows-10.html

Even though ccleaner sells itself as a registry cleaner, you should never let it near the registry as it can clean up things you need. I ran it right after a install last year and it deleted an Asus folder which I needed for something (can't remember). Use it to clean everything else but not the registry.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you got a homegroup set up? I had a problem with permissions last year where i couldn't copy files into my documents folder

1. try setting up a local user account (All settings/Family and other others/add someone else to PC/click I don't have the persons sigh on info to not include a email address/click Add a user without a Microsoft Account/fill in form and click next)

2. copy all your users folders onto it so its got the same access (In c/users),

3. make it an admin so it can access folders (go to control panel/user accounts/now depending which user you logged on as, select change your account type or Manage another user - it will ask for your current admin password to confirm it) and see if same behavior keeps happening? Its easy to do, takes a few minutes max.

If that doesn't help, try running SFC /scannow in a Command prompt with admin rights
it might help.

PatheticGamer

Honorable
Feb 27, 2016

Hey, did that new user thing, didn't work:( Could you explain me what exactly SFC /scannow does? I started it but it takes very long time to ''verificate phase.''
P.S. Actually i can move files and folders if i change ownership for that file in Properties>Security, but that's annoying to do each time I move files(which i do quite alot). I googled this stuff it's something called NTFS, and it is possible to fix it trough regedit but I am kinda afraid to ''touch'' registry cause i don't understand how it works.

Colif

Win 11 Master
SFC scannow scans your system files and just checks to make sure they all right. corrupted files can cause problems like this.

Do you have a homegroup? it sort of locks your permissions into place and you don't get asked who owner is.

I wouldn't go into registry unless the person gave exact instructions and you trusted them. You can break windows by messing around in there. There are two places I don't play in, the BIOS and registry. I would only go in there if I had to, and I would consider a reset before it or a reinstall. As if you have to edit registry to get windows to work, you better off starting again... but that is what I would do, just my opinion. Reset and Fresh Install are some things people prefer to avoid as well. The setting up user trick is just a way to avoid it for a while. That didn't work for you though.

How long have you had this problem for?

PatheticGamer

Honorable
Feb 27, 2016

SFC scan completed, it said that there are no integrity problems detected. When I go to Settings>System>About it shows that i'm in WORKGROUP, even tho this is a home PC. Can't find a way to remove it aswell.

How long have you had this problem for? - Don't really know, about 1-2 months now. At some period I was cleaning my PC from junk and cleaning corrupt registry entries with CCleaner, but only those, which are left after uninstalling programms. Maybe I messed up something then...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Think every win 10 user is in a workgroup... maybe. Look at this link below and see if you are in a homegroup or not.

I use this site as they give clear descriptions, its not an attack on you: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-set-up-a-homegroup-network-in-windows-10.html

Even though ccleaner sells itself as a registry cleaner, you should never let it near the registry as it can clean up things you need. I ran it right after a install last year and it deleted an Asus folder which I needed for something (can't remember). Use it to clean everything else but not the registry.

Solution

PatheticGamer

Honorable
Feb 27, 2016

I guess i'm not in Homegroup then. I'll just stick with ''Adding permission'' method which I used before. Anyways, thanks for your help and sorry for taking your time:D

TRENDING THREADS