I am wanting to upgrade my computer's graphics card and could do with a little help!?

Matt JW

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
Hey, so I am wanting to upgrade my gaming computer that I got from ebuyer last January... The specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD A8 7600 (clocked at 3.1ghz [3.8ghz turbo])
GPU: R7 Graphics (all its says in "dxdiag")
RAM: 8gb (2x4gb)
Mother-board: A88XM-E35 V2
PSU: 250w (I don't think it has a brand, a cheap one obviously)

Before I got this pc I had done some research into this computer. From what I found it would run most games at decent frame-rates. I did not have the biggest budget and so was not expecting games to be on ultra settings, but medium or high maybe. Just something similar or better than ps4 or xbox one consoles.
However, when trying to run some demanding games such as planetside 2 (a free one to test the pc at first) at 1080p, it was not playable even on the lowest settings. I really do not know why the computer under performed. Now even on less demanding titles such as overwatch, tf2 or left for dead 2, I have to turn down the settings. Overwatch was not even playable even. I anyone could explain why it under performed this way, that would be great?!

This has now lead to the reason why I want to upgrade my gpu to run modern games like gta 5 or battlefield 4. I have been looking around at many gpu's such as the gtx 750 ti or r7 360. They are great as they are not too expensive but can still run games at 1080p (or this is what I have seen on youtube videos, Digital foundary seems to be reliable) However, I am worried that they will soon become outdated as well so is it worth getting them? If not maybe the gtx 950 or an r9 card? What do you think...

Also I have heard about the apu and gpu crossfire combo. Does the A8 7600 have the capability or can it not do this? Will it work on the r7 360? If it does will it be good enough to run games.
I would love to hear your opinions on what I should do!

Finally, if i bought a gtx 750 ti after upgrading my psu (I realise that 250w is not enough so i will go with a 500 w), what would happen. Would the intergrated gpu in the A8 7600 work alongside the gtx 750 ti? Or will the gtx 750 ti just take over? If this does happen is the gtx 750 ti still good enough in this day and age, June 2016, to run new titles?

Please help me out here, and let me know what you think I should do to upgrade?? It would be much appreciated!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I'd avoid dual Graphics Mode (CF) on that system. That never scales well with low end cards. Also, as you say, you will have to upgrade your PSU to use any discrete card that has better performance that the iGPU you have now. The GTX 750 Ti can run on a good quality 300W, the GTX 950 on a 380W, the R7-360 on a 430W, R7-370 on a 450W.

If you are willing to get a 500W PSU, you can run up to a GTX 960 before bottleneck gets too severe.

No, the iGPU will be idle when there's a gfx card in the PCIe x16 slot. Although most APU boards do allow using the iGPU for a 2nd monitor.

The reason consoles seem to perform better at 1080p is because most of them render the games at only 720p and then up-scale them to fit a 1080 display, losing some quality to the resolution along the way.

Matt JW

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016

Wow thanks that was extremely fast! So you think that a gtx 750 ti, taking over from the integrated gpu in the A8 7600, would be able to play modern day games like gta 5 and upcoming titles (maybe) at decent frame rates, in 1080p? And a good quality 300w psu would run this... Well thanks a lot, I feel more confident in what to do. I will let you know what I do in the near future about upgrading my computer... Thanks once again!