Buy another windows 10?

Bacon88

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
So im buying a new pc on a website were i can choose my own parts. Theirs a option to have windows 10 or not. I have a old gaming pc with windows 10. I was wondering if it is possible to transfer windows 10 on a old pc to a new one?

Solution
Hello Bacon88

If you plan to discard your old PC and remove Windows 10 from it, installing Windows 10 on the new computer and registering it with the same product key would be your best bet. In such a case, you may need to Contact Microsoft Customer Support Team and request them to assist you with the registration process.

On the other hand, if you want to use both the PCs with Windows 10 installed on them, you must buy a new copy of the operating system.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!! :)
Hello Bacon88

If you plan to discard your old PC and remove Windows 10 from it, installing Windows 10 on the new computer and registering it with the same product key would be your best bet. In such a case, you may need to Contact Microsoft Customer Support Team and request them to assist you with the registration process.

On the other hand, if you want to use both the PCs with Windows 10 installed on them, you must buy a new copy of the operating system.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!! :)

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if you got the win 10 through the free upgrade on the old pc, then this won't work. that key is tied to the system it was first installed on and can't be transferred. if you bought it then you should be able to reuse it on the new build.

windows is adding a way to link your license to your MS account with the anniversary update but it still won't let you put it on a whole new system i don't think.

Colif

Win 11 Master
how win 10 works out its product ID that is tied to licence is a mystery but there is a very good chance that the changes being made to activation won't be enough to allow an entirely new pc to use an old licence from an oem upgrade. All the changes are there to do is let people who replace the motherboard do so without needing to contact Microsoft to reactivate it every time. I don't think it means open season and eternal Win 10 licence for every PC from now on, they want to stay in business I think.

If current install is a retail copy, you can move it freely now.