Should I upgrade Win 7 64bit to Free Win 10 Upgrade promo?

dankcik09

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Looks like Windows is doing a Free promo that ends on the 29th of this month for only Win 7 and Win 8.1. I am completely happy with Win 7 at the moment, but wouldn't mind upgrading for more performance and just being more current. However I was a long time XP user as I felt no reason to upgrade until a good 2 years after Win 7 came out which I felt was worth its price tag.

I have no problems with my computer other than Firefox giving me plugin error boxes whenever i close out of Firefox completely or shutdown.

I use my computer for work doing motion graphic design, compositing, 3d design, and rendering.

It upgraded the machine early this year and its sporting a 970, 32 gigs of ram, i7 2600k, and various SSDs and HDD drives.

I run Adobe CC on this computer with very few issues if ever at all. AE, AI, PS, PR for the most part and C4D for 3D application.

So that being all said, Can you guys lend some advice. Should I just stick Win7 or is it totally fine to go to win10 and worth it. I want to avoid having to trouble shoot for a few days because everything got messed up in the upgrade process.

Solution
There's nothing wrong with staying with Win 7.
There is also nothing wrong with Upgrading to Win 10.

10 is, in my experience, very stable, and similar performance to Win 7.
G

if you're happy, keep it. you won't get more performance upgrading to windows 10, if you want performance buy new parts, the only "better performance" I see is the booting time, and guess what, you don't really shut down the computer, windows just sends a signal to hibernate your computer, but instead of saving your things exacly where you left it, it deletes those files, but it's not more than an hibernation.
it has nice visuals, I lost some FPS on some games, won some FPS on other games, same for programs... has an awesom and greatful privacy policy, really, when I saw it gave me will to install linux...
but yeah, there is not much difference btw windows 7 and 10 in my opinion, and right now MS released SP1 for W7. but if you want 10 just because it's a free upgrade, just get a new HDD, download windows media creation tool, get a pen drive with at least 8GB, and follow the steps on media creation tool. the good thing about windows 10 is that it does not requires a license key, as long as your computer has all the labels related to windows, you have license, at least this is what happens to my computer. so just install windows 10 in that drive and when you feel that w7 does not go well with your needs, just switch harddrives.

dankcik09

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Kind of one of those things where its now or wait another year or more. I have basically 2 more days of which I dont have time to buy another drive to let it sit on. I have a legit copy of 7 so if I dont like I can always reinstall with the disc. Kind of in cross roads. But it does come down to, why fix whats not broken. With the upgrade could come a world or errors, boot problems, driver issues, programs not functioning properly.

When i had got the samsung s4 i remember upgrading it the first chance I could get, I got a laggy unresponsive device that made me want to get another phone. But it seems most people arent having those issues.

I'm gonna do some more reading...

Jeremymau, why do you feel win 7 is better?

dankcik09

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
This guy on cnet makes some very valid points.

seglertx
May 12, 2016

@CraigAF I've installed it on 10 computers so far and it runs faster than Windows 7 on systems with with 4 GB or less of memory, Installing Windows 10 along with an SSD in an old laptop will make it run like new. It has some good features for gaming like DX12, recording game play, and linking with the Xbox.

Work is another story. You mention having multiple windows open at once. I often open a Windows Explorer/File Explorer window and snap it to the left of the screen and access files on a networked computer. I then open another window to a folder on the local computer and snap it to the right of the screen and start moving or copying files between them. While that is going on I start doing other things and may open another File Explorer window full screen to open a file. If I do that in Windows 10 and start scrolling down through the files in a folder it will jump back up to the top of the list if there is a change in one of the other windows. This makes Windows 10 impossible for any serious work because I often have other programs running in the background that are making changes to files while I am working with others. Windows 7 doesn't do that. Windows Explorer in Windows 7 may crash occasionally but it doesn't jump around like File Explorer does in Windows 10.

There was also the problem introduced by one of the cumulative updates where Windows 10 couldn't even list the computers on the network. I had to type in the URL to connect the first time and then use the drop down list of previously accessed locations to access it after that. This was finally fixed after about five months but should never have been in an update to begin with.

There's one computer I have that has a problem with the Windows 10 driver for the Intel network controller. It works fine in Window 7 or Linux but in Windows 10 it locks up when I start transferring files from another computer on the network.

I have a system that's been running Windows 10 since July and now the task bar icons have started disappearing. I have to open up task manager, stop Explorer, and restart it to get them to appear. It's not in tablet mode.

All of these systems were upgraded but then had a clean install of Windows 10 after activation. None of these problems were inherited from an old Windows installation but are purely related to Windows 10. I'm still running it on a few systems but I've gone back to Windows 7 for systems I multitask on.

And more valid points on why not to upgrade on the Guardian.

Blueywest1
31 Mar 2016 4:12
114 115

Having done the 'upgrade', can I earnestly would-be upgraders to think very, very, very carefully first. Frankly, I truly, truly wish I hadn't. Windows 10 is a ramshackle box of pretty pictures and exasperating idiocies.

Born_Cynic Blueywest1
31 Mar 2016 4:23
26 27

Have to agree, it seems pretty but its a nightmare to find settings, and with 'Cortana' following your web usage, (I know I'm a cynic) but it feels like a ploy to target advertisements or see what you are up to. Audio search with Google Chrome does the same anyway.

Stick with your 7, mind you I had no big issues with 8/8.1 apart from the odd compatibility problems.

prayle Blueywest1
31 Mar 2016 4:59
6 7

agree on that. I am trying to use Windows 10 for several weeks now. My impression is Microsoft main efforts have been on obfuscation. It is very difficult to deinstall/ delete Microsoft deeply embedded software applications such as the browser, now called Edge. Microsoft was fined by the EU for this practice years ago. EU, where are your teeth - another €561 million fine please? The start menu now seems database based (propriety) and again its impossible to arrange it or delete Microsoft deeply embedded items. Are Microsoft giving away Windows 10 to recover market share from Android as it comes on a smart phone for less than the cost than a Windows 7 license?

Think ive read enough to not want to upgrade. Thanks all

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Windows 10 is quite good. Is it perfect? No. That said, if you want to wait for it to be that you might as well wait until it's half way or more into its life cycle at which point most programs will be optimized for Windows 10, not 7 or 8.

I'd recommend you back up your data and upgrade. Once you've upgraded, regularly take back ups. Either Incremental Back Ups via Disk Images or regular snapshots; programs like Macrium Reflect Free or Rollback Rx work well in this regard. If you do this you'll at least have a safety net for any Win 10 issues.

Colif

Win 11 Master
People who post on newspapers or on forums are the small minority, most people who have no problems hardly ever search out forums for the things that are working fine to say glowing things about the product, unless they get paid to do so.

Newspapers and click bate sites get hits by printing the complaints of the few, good news doesn't get you the same ad review. SO many "news" sites love printing bad news about everything, so much negativity towards Win 10 last year its not funny. So many running around thinking the sky was falling.

Win 10 is fine if your PC is new or you have low needs of the OS - don't expect a 9 year old PC to be playing games like it was new.

user1062610

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016

*July* 29th.

If you want to 'futureproof' yourself - get a new disk, install win7 and upgrade to win10. Put the disk in your firesafe until you decide you need it. Works as long as your hardware (motherboard) stays the same