Mom and Son Project -Build Check please??? Run GTA V? Farming Sim? League of Legends?

mellex

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
Trying to build a modest price gaming pc with our son. I understand a fair amount but want to be sure I'm not putting in anything we DON'T need, to keep cost down. Need to double check the wireless adapter I chose (He cannot be wired where this will live), and I know some things could be better one day (like RAM) but chose to put $ in cpu and graphics card right now. Also want to be sure it looks like we have enough slots (the one thing I DON'T understand -- 5.25/3.25 internal/external, etc) SO appreciate help so we can up this together soon!
Here's a permalink our parts list.
Thank you!!!!

Pretty good build. It should perform well for your needs.

My only recommendation would be to spend a little extra on the power supply if you can, that unit is not built incredibly well. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vRmLrH/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9 is more reliable for under $60.

You can shave a few dollars off the wifi adapter in order to get some extra cash. I've used https://pcpartpicker.com/product/G4H323/tp-link-wireless-network-card-tlwdn4800 for people in several builds and they've all been very happy.

Anarkie13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2015
While I agree with timeconsumer on the PSU, I disagree on the wireless card. Having the AC band matters greatly, especially when gaming is involved.

I still can't condone wireless for gaming, but if that's your only option, AC is the fastest connection. Other than that, it looks like a well planned build.

As for the question on slots, it's almost irrelevant in current builds. 3/4 of my computers don't even have a CD/DVD/BR Drive or anything else in the slots. My main build only has one because I carried it over. 1 5.25" should be fine for most people.

mellex

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016

That's why I picked the wireless I did. Yeah, cannot get a cord to where he is on the second floor. :/ I put in a dvd cuz this will be his overall PC. Most games he'll get from STEAM but just in case there's a disc at some point!

I will go look at better power options, tho...you guys are great, thanks! (and I assume what we have is all upgradable..could swap out ram later, etc.). Any point in making it possible to overclock or is that really just extra fun but no necessary?

Oh, an I've read pros and cons about adding an SSD. I know it boots stuff faster, but doesn't do anything to actual game performance. But we can always add later, correct?

Overclocking is useful to a degree, but at your price point it is just wasted money. Your money will be better spent on a higher end GPU if you were looking to increase the budget. The locked i5's are a great value.

Anarkie13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2015
Just get a good router and you should be ok. Based on this being a first time build, I'd say to stay away from OC. You can go with components that are capable, but then you'll need an aftermarket cooler and more expensive chip and motherboard. At least an added $100.

mellex

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
Thank you both! Our router is a good one so I feel good there. This has been a great help! Now we just have to find good tutorials on how to put all this together! If anyone has any video links they like we'd love to know! :)

Anarkie13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2015
Sadly, I have no clue on links. Key issue about them is that they get outdated quickly. For the most part (minus motherboard headers) it's all extremely straightforward. Every part fits only one way. With the stock heat sink fan assembly, thermal paste is pre-applied. Each slot or plug has a key so you have to put it in right.

However, if you need, feel free to message me and I'll lend any help as needed. I know how it feels doing your first build and how nervous you can get.

mellex

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016

Thank you! I googled a bit and found a few things...it does look fairly straight forward, and we will take out time (I'm not and out and out newbie, but enuff that I want to take my time!). You guys here are great, thank you -- we are very excited!

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah this is true - optical drives are becoming increasingly irrelevant by the day. Even Windows 10 ships on USB flash drives now. There's no reason to buy one anymore unless you absolutely need one. I wouldn't get anything other than DVD-R, BD-R is not necessary on PC.

I will go look at better power options, tho...you guys are great, thanks! (and I assume what we have is all upgradable..could swap out ram later, etc.). Any point in making it possible to overclock or is that really just extra fun but no necessary?

Not necessary. You can, on certain non K processors, but only one motherboard manufacturer has it on non K CPUs, and it only works on certain CPUs. It's a bit complicated to explain. In order to get a true overclocker you need a K CPU and a Z series motherboard.

Oh, an I've read pros and cons about adding an SSD. I know it boots stuff faster, but doesn't do anything to actual game performance. But we can always add later, correct?

Yes it's very easy to do so.

mellex

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
Okay, so the kid just came to me with a link to a built pc on amazon...could I bother folks for input on comparison as price is REALLY close to our build.
What I notice is the 2gb graphics as opposed to the 4g I put in ours. I don't know enuff about them tho to tell what that'd mean near, ditto for the CPU...again, thanks in advance as we weigh pros and cons of stuff! Opinions?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CUZKM3C?psc=1

mellex

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016

That was my gut! :D I think some of this is actually sinking in, I'm happy to say. I'm thinking we're good to go. Thanks!

mellex

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016

Hey -- last question (I hope!) -- someone mentioned that while parts picker has their "compatibility" mode I should still make sure all the parts will "fit together"..?? Isn't it the same thing? Anything here that will not fit together? I was also looking at "Logical Increments" website, and it made me wonder if I oughten try to go better in the graphics card (they had, with my chosen CPU, and AMD Radeon RX 480 or R9 398 -- neither of which I could afford, but still wondering if I should try and lose something elsewhere and go bigger there. This build is now hovering around $700 which really is our cap.).

I understand, don't worry I don't see any glaring issues. Usually those problems result because an aftermarket CPU cooler is too tall or a $1000 GPU is too long. You have pretty normal sized pieces so I think you're good to go.

Here's the deal on the GPU situation. An RX 480 is brand-new and would no doubt dominate any game you want to play in 1080p at 60 FPS. However, as a brand-new offering they are hard to find, can be a bit overpriced, have loud and hot reference cooler designs, and often have some driver issues that can be annoying. If you're willing to deal with those problems a 4GB RX 480 (8gb isn't necessary for 1080p) is great. But if you want a simple solution, just opt for the 960 and go have fun.

Also I'd like to add my own personal experience with gaming boxes. I tend to buy mainstream GPUs in the 200-250 price range, like the GTX 960 or RX 480. There's good value there. Then every 3 years or so it starts holding me back in some games, so I buy another $200-$250 GPU. I can usually do that twice for one good processor/mobo. This way I always have my games being very playable, sometimes I have to turn down a few settings, no big deal, and I don't spend $500 on a GPU that I'll replace in 4 years for the same reasons anyway. BTW, if you save the GPU box and all the stuff it came with, you can sell it every couple of years when you upgrade, right now a used 3 year-old GTX 760 (~$250 new in 2013) sells for $100 on eBay.

mellex

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
Again..awesome, thank you! I've kind of been perusing ebay just as a check for prebuilt but that's getting me in hot water cuz I do NOT know how what I'm looking at compares to the recommended specs to the game or what we put in the build :/ Only a bummer cuz some are $200 cheaper. But the "too good to be true" in me is assuming it's cuz our build is probably better and will make the kid "coming from a laptop we got for Minecraft that he suffers thru GTA IV and Farming Sim 2015 on with jumpy fps and occasional crashing" go "OMG THIS is what gaming should be". Even if it's till not top of the line, I'd like to spend money that'll make him squee at least a little! :)

Well, I understand where you're coming from. Someone I work with commissioned me to build her 12 year-old son a gaming computer for christmas, he was also a big minecraft player and just getting started into more demanding titles. I gave him a similar (slightly higher budget) build, and he loves it.

FWIW I run a i5 4440 and an r9 280 (GPU similar to GTX 960, processor similar to 6500 but 2 years older) on this rig and I can play GTA V and Farming Sim 2015 on max settings with very respectable framerates, so your son will have a great time with those titles.

mellex

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016

Well that's all I needed to hear! The other stuff he wants to play I think is all w/in this range (or lower) so yay and again, thank you! I feel like I owe you a coffee. Or a beer. Or something.... :)

g-unit1111

Titan

No you do not want to buy an FX-6300. Actually you do not want to buy FX anything at this point since it's a platform that's nearing the end of its' useful life and a new platform is going to be released relatively soon. And those prebuilt systems that are sold on Amazon are typically overpriced garbage. Places like that tend to skimp on crucial components like power supplies and SSDs, in favor of fancy lighting and LEDs, and those things will almost immediately need to be replaced with something better.

mellex

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
Yeah, we opted for our own build. Clearly saves a fair amount of money and he'll learn a little something along the way!