Driver and BSOD issues after a fresh Windows 10 install

flunk09

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Hi all,

I've been trying to reinstall Windows 10 on my PC but I've had nothing but issues getting it up and running. Sorry for the long read, but I want to give as much detail as possible as I'm completely stumped on what the underlying issue is.

Specs:
ASUS Z170-Deluxe
Intel i7 6700k
32gb 2133Mhz Corsair Vengence
2x ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX
Corsair Hydro H100i GTX
1TB Samsung SSD 850 PRO
860W Corsair AXi
Razer Black Widow Mechanical Keyboard
Microsoft Mouse

For background (in case this is relevant): I was having some general instability before where my PC would randomly soft-lock (existing programs would function but the internet would die and I couldn't open new applications) and Window 10 apps (such as the Store, Calculator and Calendar) weren't opening. I foolishly followed the advice on a random 'help' article where I updated the permissions of the C drive to include all administrators (I don't know what I was thinking!). After that, Windows was stuck on the spinning dots before the login screen and I just couldn't get in. It was then I thought it's time for a reformat.

Attempt 1
------------
I completely wiped and formatted my hard drive using the Windows 10 DVD and did an entirely fresh install of OS. Everything seemed to go fine. I restored my backup Documents folder from the NAS, installed and started to get all my software back as it was.

I went to install the drivers for my Hauppauge PVR2 capture device but the installer would immediately hard-lock my PC. I updated the USB3 drivers but still had the same issue.

I noticed in the device manager the PVR2 was coming up as a WinTV so I removed the device from the manager and trying installing the drivers. Success! However, once I restarted the PC, it wouldn't detect my USB keyboard. (The mouse functioned). When I looked in the device manager, my keyboard was coming up as an unknown 'Composite USB device'. If I tried plugging in another USB keyboard, my PC would immediately BSOD. (I didn't take note of the error code unfortunately).

So, I reformatted again. Although I did a "Reset This PC" while keeping my files and folders.

Attempt 2
------------
The PC reset and I was back to where I was. This time, I made sure to install the most up to date chipset drivers from the ASUS website along with the USB3 drivers.

However, when I went to install the Intel Gigabit LAN drivers, I got the same issue with the PVR2 where the PC would hard-lock. As a quick check, I went to Windows Update manager and checked for updates. Sure enough, "Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586" was ready and waiting to install so I did.

When the update installed and the computer restarted into the black screen with the white loading circle

snSLZKs.png

the computer BSODed at 87% Copying files and 26% Total. The BSOD error was "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT".

gNpjI2S.png

I Googled that BSOD error and saw that usually means there's an issue with the CPU which was quite concerning.

I did one more reformat

Attempt 3
-----------
Before resetting the PC again, I updated my motherboard BIOS to the latest version (1801). I went through the reset with no issues but this time, before installing any drivers, I went straight to the Windows update manager and downloaded/installed Version 1511, 10586.

Once again, the PC BSODed at 26% of the installation.

I really am genuinely stumped on what the issue is. I'm not sure if the soft-locking from before was a symptom of something but since the first reinstall, I've been unable to get my PC into a fully functional state.

I will add that I have read about a bug in the 6700k where a specific sequence of instructions can cause the CPU to crash, but I'm also told the latest BIOS update should deal with that.

Thank you all for your time and have a pic of my cat :p

004tv2m.png

Solution
Not sure i like how synapse installs during win 10 install, it can get mixed up and not install right. I had a blackwidow but its keys stopped working, Logitech G910 now.

you might consider burning another installer, it could be the DVD

possibly run Samsung Magician and see if there is new firmware for EVO. It could be as simple as that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
is the pc overclocked? is the Asus bios running at default and not some auto overclock? its optimised settings may have CPU running faster than default. I only ask as clock_watchdog_timeout is normally associated with CPU errors

Perhaps remove one of the Strix cards until you installed win 10

It seems odd it starts doing the behavior after you install your old documents

keyboard problem: were you running the Synapse software? it may have been missing drivers

Do you have the latest BIOS? I didn't see anywhere that you said you installed it, just that it fixes a problem. Something odd going on with your USB.

flunk09

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

Hi, thanks for responding!

My PC isn't overclocked and all the settings are at their default after I flashed the BIOS.

I'll try removing one of the GFX cards when I next reset. I'll let you know of the results!

I'm considering doing a truly fresh reinstall, however, I recall when I did a truly fresh install on the first attempt, I tried updating Windows and it got stuck at 26% again. (Although, it didn't BSOD).

I wasn't running the Synapse software at the time, however, it does try to install during the Windows setup process. I've just gone out and bought a cheap standard keyboard and I'll try reinstalling with that to see if there was a driver conflict.

I flashed the BIOS at the start of 'attempt 3'. According to the ASUS website, it is the latest one. To be honest, I was kinda hoping that was the issue but unfortunately it's not =(

Colif

Win 11 Master
Not sure i like how synapse installs during win 10 install, it can get mixed up and not install right. I had a blackwidow but its keys stopped working, Logitech G910 now.

you might consider burning another installer, it could be the DVD

possibly run Samsung Magician and see if there is new firmware for EVO. It could be as simple as that.

Solution

flunk09

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

So I've finally managed to get Windows going again and everything seems stable (apart from my Hauppauge drivers but I'm speaking to their tech support about that). So what I did was:

-Downloaded the latest iso of Windows 10 and used that to install Windows. (10586.164)
-Did a completely fresh install rather than a reset. (I.E., deleted and formatted partitions). The reason being is when I did do a reset, it seemed to keep my Nvidia drivers leaving me to believe that a Windows 10 reset doesn't reset everything.
-Used a basic USB keyboard during installation.
-Unplugged all USB devices during installation (apart from when the keyboard was needed).

Using the latest iso was probably the solution but I'm not 100% sure. I'll know for next time to keep everything as simple and clean as possible when reinstalling Windows! It was a little concerning that the issue occurred in the first place, but I'll just say it was down to a dirty installation!

Thanks Colif for your help =)

Abdul_6

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015

if i was you il download
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

and then make backup iso for that drive c then next time u run into problems just restore that iso this will save you from alot of installation stuff , it will make iso of your entire drive c windows , clone it , si any errors u can restore the image and your pc will be back to normal