How bad is GTA 5 online?

Tm_carbon

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015
So since Steam is doing the spring summer sale and GTA 5 is almost half off I was wondering how bad is it online? I've heard that the pc version is crawling with modders and annoying people who just kill you. I've also heard that you can get banned for not modding if a modder gives you money or anything like that. So is online really that toxic and is it worth the $36 currently?

inerax

Distinguished
I paid full price. Granted, I dont play much any longer or even at all really because of Overwatch. But GTA5 is EFF'n Amazing. I have no regrets for the purchase. The single player mode is amazing and online was super fun.

I played through single player on PS3 but no online. I then purchased for PC when it came out, did single play again and a TON of online.

All of the things listed are indeed present online, but you generally can avoid them fairly well.
I would say maybe 1/10 lobbies I play in contain modders (and only a few malicious ones). There are of course people who will kill you, but thats part of the fun fighting back.

Generally you get banned if you start requesting around for a modder to help you, if you are just in a lobby and it gets thrown at you, you probably will be fine.

ema21del9

Reputable
May 23, 2016

Rockstar stated that if you get modded money you DON'T to waste it because you can get banned for it.

toot12311

Reputable
May 28, 2015
It's bad.
I wasted 30$ on this game, modders in every room who can instantly kill you across the map and ruin your character model
I say avoid online.

Really? The worst I have is a sore loser who dropped tanks on you, even then it never really killed you, and free tanks.
Never had any insta kills, combat modification, or player manipulation, and this was right after the winter sale.