1080p ultra wide vs 1440p ultra wide vs 4k

joshua_98

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
as the title suggests im in the market for a new gpu either a 1070 or cross fire 480s (depending on price per preformance). and i want a shiny new monitor to replace my current small sub 1080p monitor. my rig is mainly used for gaming and watching movies along with a bit of photoshop for work. really want an ultrawide because ive seen films on them and they look dam good. however im afraid game support for them will drop. i also know there are disadvantages in 4k with scaling in some apps but it will give my older games and my blu-rays (and 4k blu-ray if i ever upgrade) a great screen to work on. im happy to drop £400 on a decent monitor (which is about the cost of either a 34 inch 1440p ulta or a 16:9 4k). another thing i was suggesting was getting a 1080p ultawide and then getting a standard 4k monitor later and mounting it above my ultrawide. im open to suggestins and pros and cons.

Solution
I moved your post to the displays section so hopefully it will get more display oriented responses.

Since your uses are mostly gaming I'd say 1440p. 4k gaming is possible but fps take a serious hit if you're hoping for 60fps. Going with an 'odd' size like an ultrawide is usually going to suffer from lack of support. Anything outside of the mainstream norm isn't likely to get as much attention so may be more hit and miss. I suppose you could always go to windowed mode but then you're compensating for the extra screen width you paid for. Just my .02 worth, hopefully others will weigh in.
I moved your post to the displays section so hopefully it will get more display oriented responses.

Since your uses are mostly gaming I'd say 1440p. 4k gaming is possible but fps take a serious hit if you're hoping for 60fps. Going with an 'odd' size like an ultrawide is usually going to suffer from lack of support. Anything outside of the mainstream norm isn't likely to get as much attention so may be more hit and miss. I suppose you could always go to windowed mode but then you're compensating for the extra screen width you paid for. Just my .02 worth, hopefully others will weigh in.

Solution