PC runs exceptionally hot after new PSU/GPU install.

steven_15

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Hello,

I'm pretty sure this isn't normal. I just got done installing a Corsair CX 500 PSU and a Radeon HD 6950 GPU. While before with weak stock parts the computer would run at normal temperatures now while idling the CPU is 52 C, the mobo is 51 C, and the GPU is 62 C. If I run a game this becomes 54/52/68. That seems... exceptionally high. Did I install it incorrectly or do I need more cooling or...? I think part of the problem is the way it made me install the GPU leaves about oh... 2 inches between the fans and the bottom of the case. For some reason they point down, instead of at all the empty space between the PCI slot and the memory card slots.

CBender

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
That seems normal to me depending your cpu. If it is an Intel cpu these are pretty good temps for a stock cooler in summer (again depending where you are). What is your cpu?

steven_15

Honorable
May 10, 2012

I'm more concerned about the GPU, it's much hotter and new. But the CPU is A6-Series APU A6-5200 (2.00 GHz) Really weak. I'd replace if it wasn't melded on the mobo.

My computer is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113273

+ Radeon HD 6950 GPU.
+ Corsair CX 500 PSU.
+ 16 GB Crucial RAM.

steven_15

Honorable
May 10, 2012

Opening the case has no effect on the CPU, slowly drops the mobo by 2 degrees, and slowly drops the GPU by 3. Putting it back slowly returns them. Also, the side panel is very warm.

Bad air or not enough cooling? Or both?

Zkye

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2014
The temperature of the CPU is normal.
The GPU is supposed to draw cold air from the bottom of the case. That's why the fans are on the bottom of the card. Anyway, the max temperature is 90 C, but the idle temperature looks a bit high to me as well. What's your ambient temperature?

steven_15

Honorable
May 10, 2012

Ambient? Do you mean in the room, or core computer, or what?

CBender

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Ambient is room temp. 68c is pretty normal for a gpu under load. The Amd cpu can go near 70c anything above 60-65 is worrying. Don't worry. As for the higher temps, probably the gpu is a bit more powerful than the old. Which of course means more heat is being dissipated.

Zkye

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2014

62 C in idle is a bit high.

steven_15

Honorable
May 10, 2012

Should be 25 C or less, anything higher makes the AC come on. That's why I'm concerned about the big difference, especially when every source I see tells me I should see this sort of thing under load but at idle it should be at/near ambient.

CBender

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Are you using a stock amd cpu cooler? If yes then reapply thermal paste. The card is normal. Besides changing thermal paste you could get a better cpu cooler but for the one you have i don't see the point. Also your load temps are not anything crazy.

steven_15

Honorable
May 10, 2012

Where would that go? Between the fan and the CPU? I think that's welded on and I can't do anything with it.

CBender

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Yes between cpu and cooler. Are you sure that is the case? Check for screws behind/on top of the motherboard. I assume that there is a fan on the cooler, right? if you aren't sure you can post an image your case insides.

P.S. Also i hope that you learn from this and never buy a prebuilt system. They are full of proprietary stupidities and the crappiest of the parts.

steven_15

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I see the fan on the CPU. There's these rods flanking the four corners, they go straight down. I heard the welded on part when I considered replacing the really bad default laptop CPU with something decent. I then realized that after replacing the CPU, mobo, GPU, and PSU I might as well buy a new computer. Which I would have done, except the money I'd have spent on that got used on an emergency instead so I replanned with just the PSU and GPU. Anyways there's not screws there, just rods going down.

And I agree about prebuilts. If I weren't in a poor situation at the time I wouldn't have hastily grabbed a 160 dollar machine, I'd have thought about it and made a better one. Or had someone else do it, I wasn't very good with hardware back then. I mean I needed a workaround with a low profile extension cable just so I could keep the front USB ports connected, a normal size connector wouldn't have fit under the GPU. This was a mistake, my external HDD keeps blinking in and out.

Soon as I get the money again I'm just building a full mid range PC.

steven_15

Honorable
May 10, 2012
So I've discovered a few curious things. First off, if I take my computer out of the desk and set it somewhere where it has more clearance all components drop 10 degrees C. So it seems I do need a case fan (or an open air desk, or both... don't use normal office desks with non prebuilt PCs).

No matter what I do regarding the core temperature though the CPU still runs much slower and more sluggishly since I installed the GPU and PSU. I've erased all video drivers and installed the HD 6950 drivers multiple times, this doesn't make a difference that I can see.

Zkye

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2014
Reinstall the OS. Will run better for a while. The CPU is not that old, but it's meant for laptops where the main concern is battery life and dissipated heat, so the performance is lower than desktop CPUs.

steven_15

Honorable
May 10, 2012
It didn't come with any sort of reinstallation discs, though I guess I could make a USB drive. The CPU is really low end, it's mostly the internal heat of all components and the slowness that concerns me. Especially since a relatively graphics light game has my GPU at 78 C within an hour.

Zkye

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2014
You're fine as long as you have the Windows key. That PC came with an OEM version, so you should have it. Just download the exact same windows version that you have now, burn it on a DVD or make a bootable USB drive and reinstall using that key.
And that slowness you're talking about is caused by the CPU. Will improve a bit for a while with a fresh OS install.

steven_15

Honorable
May 10, 2012
So I've discovered a few things.

1: The heat is absolutely coming from the GPU. When I turn the computer off, disconnect it, and remove it then reconnect and restart everything except it the temperature of all components drops 10-20C while idling and it no longer feels hot on the outside.
2: My GPU has these 2 bronze metal things, I'm assuming they're part of the heat distribution. These appear discolored already even though there's not anything on them.

http://content.hwigroup.net/images/products_xl/152578/sapphire-radeon-hd-6950-oc-2gb.jpg

Like that but only 2 and rigid metal.

3: Doing both of these has no effect on the slower boot time.
4: Neither does resetting the CMOS battery.
5: The case fan I bought that I thought would help with the heat came with absolutely nothing, including wiring. I'm not sure what the name of the cable I need is. The only connector I see on the fan looks like a very small male electrical plug, and my mobo has one four pin fan connector and the PSU has 4 Molex connectors. It's an Orion if that matters, 120 mm.

Reinstalling windows 10 now.

Zkye

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2014
1. Your CPU has a TDP of 25W, while that GPU has a TDP of 200W. That's why you can feel the heat coming from the GPU.
2. Those are copper pipes. If that discoloration you're talking about is copper oxide, then it might be a reason why your temps are high. I have no idea how much thermal resistance copper oxide has, so I can't say for sure that cleaning it is going to help.
5. What kind of connector has that fan? 3 pin fan connector works with 4 pin MB header. Or you could buy a molex adapter.

steven_15

Honorable
May 10, 2012
The GPU is overheating everything.
The copper was a normal color until after I ran the computer for about an hour with the CPU at 75 C under load, now it looks discolored.
I have no idea what connector the fan is. I assume the part that goes in the computer is either 3/4 pin or Molex but the only connector on the fan looks like a small electrical plug. It does not look like any standard connector.

Looking at the box carefully it says my fan is "Terminal" (instead of "Wired"). Ok, so how do I connect a terminal fan? I mean it's the wrong size (I needed 80 mm) but even if I exchanged it I don't see any cable on any website that fits this including the one of the store that sold it (Spectronics).