Booting to black screen: Windows 7 ISO on a USB

chz95

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016
Hey all,

So I just built my first pc ever with the help of some friends and it's all set up and running fine. I tried to boot up windows 7 from an .iso on an external hard drive (usb) and now my troubles have begun.

I have two computers now- a macbook laptop & my new PC. I downloaded a legitimate .iso on my macbook (SHA1 hash checked it and all of that stuff, it was way over my head but I figured it out) so I know the .iso is safe. It's a mirror from that german site that hosts the old digital river files.
Anyways, I took the .iso (windows 7 pro 64bit) and I opened boot camp assistant on the macbook. I clicked the option to make a windows 7 or later install disk or something and let it process. It reformatted my usb external HD and said it was now bootable. I ejected it, plugged it in to my new computer, and turned it on. It asked me to select which device to boot from, I selected the usb drive.

This is my issue. After selecting the USB drive, the screen goes black with a small white line that blinks. Nothing happens. I tried changing boot priority in the BIOS a bunch of times, still I get the black screen. I can't seem to find a solution anywhere. I have googled for hours at this point and cannot find a thing.

TL;DR: booting off of USB iso, get black screen with blinking white line

This is cross posted at: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/4qn2bh/black_screen_when_booting_first_time_builder/

Gourab Sarkar

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
Hi,

The blinking bar on the screen may indicate that some boot files or other boot resources are unavailable. Since you prepared your bootable USB on a MacBook, I think that the installation mechanisms & resources differ for a windows installation disk. I have a workaround & I have used this on my desktop windows PC several times.

There's a free software (legit, if you may wonder) called Rufus, which specializes in creating bootable drives. Here's the link: http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Use this software to create your bootable USB drive. It definitely works.

Hope this helps. :)