PC goes black then static and freezes?

Nathan Dissington

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014
So ill be watching catch up tv on my computer then after about an hour or so it'll freeze, go black then go static? and the fans stop working? what could the problem be i tried ctrl+del nothing i have to restart my pc for it to work again

any advice would be great

Solution
What doesn't add-up is that it can happen 30 minutes after using the electric shower. If it has anything to do when the shower is powered up, is hard to tell. Do you know what is the electric shower rate of electric consumption?.. I googled for related information and found a few advertised as consuming from 7.5kw to 10kw which sounds quite high to me. I don't know much about electric conversions but I think that would be from 7500 watts to 10500 which would be like lighting up 75 to 105 100watt lightbulbs at the same time.. I may be wrong so I hope you know more about that or maybe someone else can pitch in and enighten us.

If that rate of electric consumption is correct, it's possible the computer may not be getting enough current...
First things to check would be:
1. the PSU and a possible AC cable or outlet issue...
2. Possible bad device

Computers can freeze when getting a power flow reduction, motherboard can restart, video card can go off or restart if the system does, the monitor can restart, and the static could be due to something making sparks nearby or a live current jumping a gap or lose contact... someone ark welding nearby. And as the system stops responding ctrl+alt+del will most likely not work. I have experienced one or another computer going into severe freeze when a device such as a CD-Rom was bad.

Nathan Dissington

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014

So I've de-dusted it checked all the cables and so on, that doesn't seem to be a problem there. The graphics card is fine never overheated or tearing or spikes during gaming or anything.

The motherboard on the other hand, not sure how i can tell if that is the problem?

Secondly my plug socket /mains i use for my monitor and computer is right next to our electric shower and when that is in use or 30 mins later i noticed the problem could that be the issue?

What doesn't add-up is that it can happen 30 minutes after using the electric shower. If it has anything to do when the shower is powered up, is hard to tell. Do you know what is the electric shower rate of electric consumption?.. I googled for related information and found a few advertised as consuming from 7.5kw to 10kw which sounds quite high to me. I don't know much about electric conversions but I think that would be from 7500 watts to 10500 which would be like lighting up 75 to 105 100watt lightbulbs at the same time.. I may be wrong so I hope you know more about that or maybe someone else can pitch in and enighten us.

If that rate of electric consumption is correct, it's possible the computer may not be getting enough current to run normally.. but it doesn't explain why the issue occurs 30 minutes after. Maybe you could try reproducing the issue to get a more accurate idea of the relation betweem running the electric shower and the computer troubles.

Solution