Password usually wrong on first attempt

Just Another Guy

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
I've found I usually fail to get the correct password on my first attempt of typing, so I've started looking at the result. This seems a bit weird, so I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem.

Just say my password is 'Password1'. I'll move the mouse to turn the screen on, hit enter to go onto the login screen, and I'll type 'Password1'. However, if I click the reveal password button, I have apparently typed 'password1' (without any capitals), so I replace the lowercase 'p' to an uppercase one. I hit reveal password just to make sure it is correct, which it is, so I log in, and it complains that I have an incorrect password. Typing it in again then logs me in.

Just Another Guy

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012

It still doesn't make sense why then correcting the password still doesn't work. After I replace the first letter, I definitely have the correct password typed out, but it always fails on the first try.

Anyway thanks for the suggestion, I accidentally hit pick as best answer but oh well :p

Just Another Guy

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
Thanks, that links more for totally forgotten passwords though, I'll try figure how to make it happen every time first then try on a new account, since I think once you reset your microsoft password it won't let you go back again :p

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am using a local account as my PC got confused by auto logon and was logging me in on a temporary account with no access to anything. I figured it was my user so I made a new one and have yet to try using auto logon again as I figure it might be PC and not user.

It takes 30 seconds to copy all your user folders onto a new user, and then make it admin so its got same access as previous user. Much faster than a reinstall to fix it.

See if these two commands help: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

Just Another Guy

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
Oh, mine's my actual microsoft account (hence why I've got a capital letter in the password), and with all the profile settings, I don't think I'd have the patience to sort them all out again haha.

I may have found the source of the problem though I'll have to wait until the computer locks me out again by itself to make sure. If you hit shift during the lock screen transition, it doesn't recognise that you are holding it down. As to why it wouldn't just let me replace the first letter, I have no idea, hence why I'm not sure yet if it's the full problem :p