Dual Display HDMI to Single DVI-D Cable Not Working

RoboLawyerLOL

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
So I got a free monitor from the place i work (they were throwing it away but it was fully functional). Its an old-ish VGA only and it works with my Dvi to VGA adapter that came with my graphics card (R9 270x His Iceq x2). So the graphics card only has one dvi port, so i bought an hdmi to dvi cable. it turns out the cable wont work, any idea why?

If your GPU has DVI, what does HDMI does in the setup?

VGA monitors (if that is what you got) need "special" DVI-I connector (one which provides both digital and analog signals), and this is what your adapter is using. CHeck eg here for details on DVI.

HDMI, on the other hand, is digital interface, and it needs special adapters to feed VGA monitors.

RoboLawyerLOL

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012

well my main display only has dvi and im using the hdmi to dvi to connect it there since my gpu only has one dvi, one hdmi and two mini hdmi. the problem derives in the fact that the monitor connected with the dvi to hdmi cable isn't receiving a signal.

RoboLawyerLOL

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
So it turns out the cable works fine from dvi to hdmi (i tested it with my hdtv) so im beggining to feel like this is a single directional cable. But it was advertised as a bi directional cable and i do not have any other monitors to test it with. im frustrated.