How to reinstall Windows 10?

Oct 18, 2015
I recently bought a MSI GAMING 5 mobo. I already installed it. Not very tech Savy so I didn't realize my windows 10 activation would be needed after the new mobo. Apparently I needed to burn a Windows 10 image to a disk or USB which I didn't do. How will I get the Windows 10 activation key/entitlement now? I have a pop up at the right hand corner of my PC now saying to activate Windows 10 and it asks for a product key.

I'm also getting a SDD tomorrow and wiping my PC clean. Wanted to try and get my Windows 10 before I did all this so I wouldn't have any problems booting up and installing the OS to the SSD.

Oct 18, 2015

I bought a custom built PC from Cyberpower about two years ago if that helps!?

Also I have no problems buying a new cd key honestly. I'm more concerned about how to get my Windows 10 in stallion itself over to the SSD and then just activating it via key. I'm clueless on how to do this stuff. :(

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you had Win 10 installed on old motherboard, its likely the Key on your current PC is an OEM key as shops normally install OEM keys to save you money.

You probably need to buy a new licence from Microsoft and you can get it as a USB or a download. The most important part of the package is the key, as you can use the Win 10 Media creation tool to make your own Win 10 installation USB or DVD. I would do that today before you get SSD tomorrow.

What I would do is not bother activating it on HDD tonight, instead wait till you get the new ssd, Install Win 10 on the SSD and then try to use that key to register windows and if it doesn't work, you can contact Microsoft and get a new key. You can run unactivated for 30 days.

Step by step tutorial on how to install win 10: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Oct 18, 2015

I haven't checked. I'm at work currently so I can't check.
I also bought my PC without a cd drive because everything is digital for the most part so I can't put in my Windows cd either if that's the case.
That's why I was more curious of how to get my Windows 10 that's on my HDD onto my SSD.

Oct 18, 2015

How do I get ahold of Microsoft to see if they'll handle it?
I can log into my "Microsoft account" that got programmed into the account of the other motherboard; just no product key. I'm just hoping I get the whole boot up correct with the image. Sounds <removed by mod>confusing! I will answer you sometime later to let you if all goes well. I appreciate you answering all my questions.

Colif

Win 11 Master
on the desktop, right click This PC
select properties from menu
in next pop up, at bottom of page, is a section called Windows activation
there should be options there to enter a key, or an option to activate by phone

hope that helps :)

Oct 18, 2015

Assuming you want me to try this after I transfer to the SSD!

Oct 18, 2015

Well I'll put it in today! I seen there is a disk that comes with it. What's it for? Because I don't have a cd drive if that's needed. Usually I'll just download the files online.

Oct 18, 2015

That's nice then!
Idk how it goes in but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Do I just stick it in where the HDD is at?
The way my PC is I have these slots that open up & you just pull it out. I don't even think I'll need a bracket for the SSD.

But now just to wait 4 hours for Best Buy to open up.

Oct 18, 2015

Okay! so now that im home i can show you bits and pieces. I think i know what im actually doing now that I can see everything.
Gonna try and explain this and hopewfully its right and we can be on our marry way of installing the windows 10 on the SSD :D
Excuse my language but FUCK you're awesome! thanks for being so cooperative Colif!

http:// So this is where it wants me to bracket the SSD. No problem.
http:// Now wanted to make sure, the yellow circle goes into the SSD and the Red goes into the PSU.
http:// Now i have a SATA cable but didnt get a photo of it. but itll also go into the SSD and then into that SATA connection on the motherboard?