Transfer Windows 10 Profile from one computer to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

natewatson82

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
I recently purchased a Windows Surface Tablet and would like to move my domain profile to my new computer. My old system is also windows 10. I tried copying the profile directly with no luck from the users folder. I do not want to have to purchase software for this transfer.

Any recommendations?

Solution

You can't just copy user files, you would need to copy the registry keys as well. While it technically can be done it would also be very risky. The best course of action is to install a NAS device on your system network and change your profiles to ROAMING(stores profiles on the NAS rather then each computer). Remember to make backup copies of ALL the user files from each PC before you do this. Once your profiles are roaming you will...

Colif

Win 11 Master
this lets you copy user files and 2 applications between computers for free: http://pcmoverfree.azurewebsites.net/

EaseUS Todo PCTrans does not complain about the computer being a part of a domain. The free version allows you to transfer user data + any two applications of your choice. If you wish to transfer more than two applications, you will need to buy the Professional version which at the time of this writing is priced at $49.95. You have the option of transferring the files via network, provided that both the computers are on the same network, and have PCTrans installed on them. Or you can transfer data using an image file. This will transfer your user and application data to an image file, which you can retrieve from the destination computer, also with PCTrans installed on the other computer.

http://www.easeus.com/tutorial/pctrans-free-user-guide.html

natewatson82

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
I tried Todo, that was OK I guess. It only copied the user\documents and user\desktop over. I was hoping for something that would transfer more of the profile along with the settings like Windows Easy Transfer.

MyHD4870x2Melted

Reputable
Oct 21, 2015

You can't just copy user files, you would need to copy the registry keys as well. While it technically can be done it would also be very risky. The best course of action is to install a NAS device on your system network and change your profiles to ROAMING(stores profiles on the NAS rather then each computer). Remember to make backup copies of ALL the user files from each PC before you do this. Once your profiles are roaming you will have to copy all of your user files over to the new profiles on the NAS. This will make it so that each computer you log into that has been added to your domain will automatically load your user profile from the network.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.