(BSoD) after waking up from "Hibernate"

rex-99

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
Hey everyone hope u all doing fine

so i built a new PC couple of months ago
and i keep facing this problem

when i go to bed i put my PC to hibernate instead of shutting it down
but when i come back for it and wake it up the blue screens comes to show (not every time though ) i get the BSoD every 2 days approximately and some times every single day.

i tried so many methods to solve this issue, taking out my GPU, HDD, SSD, mouse, keyboard and other stuff, basically wats left is the MOBO, CPU, CPU cooler, RAM as well as M.2 ssd wich is the windows host.

here are my specs:

ASUS Z170-A ATX
I7 6700k
Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 80+ GOLD
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB

p.s.
updated my drivers from official site of ASUS

Solution
with that many log being transferred on the usb ports all the devices would be slowed down.
the logging can be enabled and disabled for ports or hubs.

here is info:https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj151577(v=vs.85).aspx

I think something turned on a log of logging but I really am not sure how to turn it off.

each log entry was about 1 full line of text, and you had 957 of them a second.
that is like 19 pages of txt a second being written to just one usb log. And it was all messages saying that there were no problems. Almost what you would get if you were attempting to debug something by turning on a verbose logging mode.

be sure to update the BIOS also.

make a kernel memory dump of the problem and put c:\windows\memory.dmp file on a server like microsoft onedrive, and share the file as public and post a link.

you could also start cmd.exe as an admin then run
powercfg.exe /energy
and take a look at the report.

rex-99

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016

i'm sorry but can you provide me some link on how to make the kernel.
i've search the web and i am so confused of what i found

and regarding the cmd.exe my report says i have some issues with my USB ports... like all of them !!

how to make a kernel memory dump (select kernel rather than full memory dump)
https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.howto31321.html

I would do the updates/remove drivers. then start cmd.exe as an admin and run
powercfg.exe /energy
and take a look at the report
if things look ok, I would change the windows settings so the system hibernates quickly then force a bunch of sleep/hibernations to confirm it is working ok. Most likely the bugcheck is just the old usb drivers not responding to waking up it will not happen after the driver is removed. I don't know why you would get so many usb log entries. It could be a usb device doing something stupid over and over for some state change. with the older computers it would not matter, it would just slow down your USB transfers. On new computers it does matter because it might all be going thru a shared PCI/e bus. Nothing like having your GPU timeout because of a slow USB device checking if you want to do something like click a mouse.

-----------
I would update the usb drivers also.
I looked a one usb log and there were 63 million log entries over 18 hours no errors but just a huge number of log entries.
(for example, I normally see less than 300 log entries)
-------------
you have a bunch of usb devices, I think your old usb driver from 2010 will be the root cause of your problem.
old drivers before 2012 just do not tend to know how to put devices to sleep correctly.

I would remove drivers below and I might try to update the intel storage driver
Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) driver get the update from
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-A/HelpDesk_Download/
(under the sat entry) or directly from intel
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

you might also take a look the other motherboard driver updates and apply them if you have not already done so.

-------------------
Scarlet.Crush Productions Scp Dual Shock 3 Virtual Bus Driver
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\ScpVBus.sys Sun May 05 14:31:26 2013
this driver corrupts memory (remove using this method: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730875%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

some sleep/hibernation problem with
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\iaStorA.sys Wed Nov 04 02:27:49 2015

old driver:
USBXpress Development Kit
http://www.silabs.com/SUPPORT/Pages/default.aspx
\SystemRoot\system32\drivers\SiLib.sys Thu Jul 15 15:08:26 2010
\SystemRoot\system32\drivers\SiUSBXp.sys Thu Jul 15 15:27:13 2010

unusual driver:
Internet Download Manager
SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\idmwfp.sys Thu May 19 06:20:29 2016

machine info:
BIOS Version 1801
BIOS Release Date 03/24/2016
Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Product Z170-A
Version Rev 1.xx
Processor Version Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Processor Voltage 8ch - 1.2V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 8300MHz
Current Speed 4000MHz
memory: (bank 0 and bank 1)
Speed 2133MHz
Manufacturer Corsair
Part Number CMK16GX4M2A2400C14

rex-99

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016

i updated almost every driver i could update from the official site of my MoBo, but still.
and regarding the usb log entries. i'm not sure what causing it, mouse, keyboard, root ? i disconnected every peice that's not essential for the computer to work but the BSoD still showing.

i read that third party drivers are not trusted so i dont install them for good

all hardware will require drivers, some hardware is so standard that a generic driver will work. Often 3rd party vendors will provide Microsoft a copy for the windows install but will never give microsoft a updated version. (various reasons)
you should always install the updated motherboard drivers. When your machine bugchecks the Windows errror reporting transfers the minidump to microsoft. Microsoft looks to see if the problem is in their code, if it is they fix it and push out a update. If it is in a third party driver, they tell the company that created the driver so they can make a fix. That company has a choice, provide a update to microsoft or just put it on a website and let the user figure it out. Some companies do not even provide the driver to the public and you can only get it from the motherboard vendor. There are reasons for that also, some chips can be incorporated into the motherboard logic with many options and also require BIOS support for the version of the chip. These drivers have to be custom for each motherboard version.

for example my wife's machine has a USB chip with a known bug in it and the motherboard vendor has not done a driver update (last one in 2012) when the machine hits the bug, the USB ports stop working and the machine hangs and you have to reboot. All I can do is reduce how often it happens (once a month or so) or disable the USB on the motherboard and add a external UBS card. The problem takes about a month of sleep/wake cycles before it occurs and if she reboots once a week or so then she does not hit the problem. She has no other problem with her machine except that one so there is no reason to upgrade yet.

rex-99

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016

i really appreciate your help i want you to know that, thank so so so much sir john

when i check powercfg.exe /energy in cmd i get 6 errors
4 of them are USB errors and when checked which pieces are causing the errors i found : ( mouse, keyboard, headphones, cpu cooler)
1 error (CPU Utilization: Processor utilization is high)
1 error (Platform Power Management Capabilities: PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled)

if i fixed those 6 errors my machine will work properly ?

and it is ok if i send you the report so you can saee better your self ?

I guess the 63 million usb log entries would be coming from your driver for the cpu cooler. 900 usb log entries a second is a lot and would take a too much cpu time.

With a cpu cooler that is connected to sub port then you would not want the system to put the usb ports to sleep. You might want to look for a update to the cooler usb driver if it is taking too much cpu time. I looked at your post and see that you have a sub enabled cooler. Check the driver error version.
The current. Version is dated 5/16/2016 http://www.corsair.com/en-us/support/downloads
I would expect that there is some sort of bug where the hibernation support is not restoring the state of the usb ports when it wakes up. I would make sure that the cooler is using a direct link to a port on the motherboard rather than a hub. I would also use a usb 2.x port rather than a usb 3 port on a external chipset.

rex-99

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016

if you asking if i am connecting the cpu cooler throw an external USB port then im not.
it's connected directly to the motherboard, and the pump as well.

but it seems all USB devices i have are having some issue, except the hub, it's working just fine

with that many log being transferred on the usb ports all the devices would be slowed down.
the logging can be enabled and disabled for ports or hubs.

here is info:https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj151577(v=vs.85).aspx

I think something turned on a log of logging but I really am not sure how to turn it off.

each log entry was about 1 full line of text, and you had 957 of them a second.
that is like 19 pages of txt a second being written to just one usb log. And it was all messages saying that there were no problems. Almost what you would get if you were attempting to debug something by turning on a verbose logging mode.

Solution