Windows 10 Retail (vs OEM) a No-brainer since it is last version of Windows?

oneleaf

Honorable
Jul 2, 2016
Hello,
I am getting a new PC from a boutique builder, and they are willing to install a retail version of Windows 10 instead of their usual OEM license. It would, of course, cost more.

Normally, I would be fine paying less with an OEM, since I tend to keep machines around for awhile and always believed when I got a new machine, I would get a newer version of Windows.

However, is Windows 10 really supposed to be the last version of Windows? If that is the case, paying more for a retail license seems worth it, since in the far future, I can still use that license and be entitled to upgrading to the latest features/updates.

Is my understanding of Microsoft's plans for making Win10 the final release accurate and is my reasoning for choosing Retail sensible?

Thank you!

A retail version can be transferred to New machine. A oem version can not.
For myself I signed up for the windows insider program and agreed to the updates so I would not have to buy the new version. You can put the updates on the slow ring so other people test the updates way before your machine gets them.

New version of Windows 10 should come out next month. It is still windows 10 code base and eventually all windows10 machines will be updated. Previous versions of Windows are in the process of being phased out.
With Windows 10 license you agree to the updates and microsoft can fix certain problems on your machine that they could not fix under the old agreement. For example removing malware that you aggreed to have installed can not be removed under the old license agreement but can with the new one.
The malware company turns around and files a lawsuit when a anti virus program removes the malware.
It is why I like Malwarebytes, they remove the software anyway. It is hard to sue companies in. certain countries.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think it depends how flexible windows is as to whether this will be last version.

One day they will want to alter the format storage drives are set up in, as though its boundaries in terms of accessible space are only likely to be approached now in massive RAID setups, it will happen. I assume its unlikely to happen for a few decades. A hard drive with 128 partitions each 256 tb in space seems insanely big right now, maybe not in a few years time. Windows put a mini version of GPT in place, its not even close to the actual possible size limit.

There might be another unseen reason to change before then. But I don't think this is last unless they change the name for some crazy reason. Microsoft have done stranger things before... bring back Clippy :)

I do think it will be the last version of windows. I don't think people really want the model windows was built on.

cloud access, high speed graphics/network for gaming and an personal artificial intelligent agent as an interface.
if you dump the windows name you can dump a lot of expectations that slow the development of a next generation OS.