How to set up dual monitors

Bigbubbaaaaaaaaaa

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
I can't quite figure it out so I was wondering if someone could give me step by step instructions with my PC specs.

AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz
16 GB
Microsoft Windows 10 (build 10586), 64-bit
Two 27" Class Full HD IPS LED Monitors
NZXT H440 Mid-Tower Case - White
I have an HDMI cable and VGA cable

Solution
Ok, thanks for the picture. That case looks really good by the way.

Just to check, the monitor is using the correct input with the VGA cable? Refer to the manual, but use the buttons on the monitor to switch input to 'VGA' if it is not already, then try it again. Got to check the simple things first.

Looking at your image, you will need to use the HDMI and DVI ports that are closer to the bottom of your case. Check your monitors have a DVI input, and then get a DVI cable; that is the long, black one to the left of the HDMI port. That is the output of your graphics card. If your monitor does not have a DVI input, then you can buy adapters quite cheaply, that should work. Also, there is a DVI-I and a DVI-D, make sure you get the right...

sfootie

Reputable
May 31, 2015
You have everything required, so just get your HDMI and VGA cables and plug them into your PC (make sure you use the graphics card slot and not integrated graphics). Then, plug the HDMI into one monitor and the VGA into another. If you do not have a VGA slot on your PC/monitor, you can buy adapters for about £10.

Then, boot up your PC and switch on both monitors. See if both have a signal, and log in. Note that it may take slightly longer to start up, this is perfectly normal. Windows 10 should automatically use 'Extend' mode, where you can have one (or more) apps open on each screen ie Chrome on one monitor, Word on the other. The notification area will only be visible on one screen, this is your primary monitor. If the two screens are outputting the same, press the Windows key and P, then select Extend. Do the same if one has not switched on.

You can change more settings such as resolution and which way round you have your displays in the Settings app in Windows 10. Press the start menu, then settings, then system. Monitor '1' is your main monitor.

Try following these steps, and reply if you need any help.

Bigbubbaaaaaaaaaa

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

Ok, so I looked on the back of my case for a VGA port and I found one. I dont really know if its integrated graphics or my GPU but it was the only one I could find. I plugged in my VGA to my mointor and PC and when I started it up it said something about D-Sub No Signal.

sfootie

Reputable
May 31, 2015
OK, looks like you used the integrated graphics. Do you have the specific graphics card model, so I can advise you on the output that it has? Or, if you send a picture of the back of your PC, I will have a look and tell you which port to use.

Did your HDMI monitor work? How did that go? If it did work, go to the Settings > System > Display, and see how many monitors are listed.

Hope this helps.

Bigbubbaaaaaaaaaa

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

I have a ASUS Radeon R9 280X and here is a picture of the back of my computer http://i.imgur.com/DTdQhQw.jpg The VGA you will probably first see is the one I tried

sfootie

Reputable
May 31, 2015
Ok, thanks for the picture. That case looks really good by the way.

Just to check, the monitor is using the correct input with the VGA cable? Refer to the manual, but use the buttons on the monitor to switch input to 'VGA' if it is not already, then try it again. Got to check the simple things first.

Looking at your image, you will need to use the HDMI and DVI ports that are closer to the bottom of your case. Check your monitors have a DVI input, and then get a DVI cable; that is the long, black one to the left of the HDMI port. That is the output of your graphics card. If your monitor does not have a DVI input, then you can buy adapters quite cheaply, that should work. Also, there is a DVI-I and a DVI-D, make sure you get the right cable.

Overall, plug both the HDMI and DVI into your graphics card; see the diagram here: http://imgur.com/m5D1yCs

Solution