Installed new motherboard, cpu, ram, and gpu, and now my version of windows 10 is not activated

Immortal99

Honorable
Jun 30, 2016
Hello everyone to start off the specs of my rig are:

Corsair 850w gold
Wd 1 tb HDD
samsung 120gb SSD
DIYPC full atx case
Z170a msi MOBO
Intel I5 6600k overclocked to 4.6
xfx Radeon rx 480 8gb version

So my problem is as follows
I recently upgraded my rig with the gpu and cpu mogherboard and ram and everything is running great.

Unfortunately by swithing out my motherboard i have effectively deactivated my version of windows 10, now if i bought windows 10 i would have a product key i could just plug in to fix this problem, unfortunately i was one of the people that upgraded from windows 7 about a year ago, now when i log in to windows i cant personalize my pc and i have that annoying watermark "activate windows" in the bottom right corner of my screen overlaying over all my games, i researched the Internet on how to fix this issue and they said to call microsoft, explain what happened and they would fix it, i did this and spent a half hour on the phone to which I recieved the answer that there is nothing they could do about it and i needed to call the people i bought my os from "the windows 7 oem disc" to fix it well its been 4 years since i built this pc so i have no clue where i bought the os disc from, i still have the os disc but cant find the damn product key i used to have with the disc its not on the box, so i was wondering what i can do to fix this issue, thank you all its very much appreciated.

Solution
Microsoft see a new CPU & Motherboard as a new PC. You replaced so much I can see their point.

Best fix is buy a new licence. Get a retail licence and it can move to new PC. That is big difference between OEM & Retail.

Not sure why Microsoft are telling you to chase people you bought software off 4 years ago. They should know you cannot reuse an OEM key that is tied to last motherboard/CPU. Not yet anyway. They haven't signlaed that is likely to change that much.

If you had done this in a few weeks, Microsoft are changing the way activation works so a new motherboard won't auto deactivate win 10. But you changed over half the PC, so it stands to reason that this would have set off deactivation even in that case.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Microsoft see a new CPU & Motherboard as a new PC. You replaced so much I can see their point.

Best fix is buy a new licence. Get a retail licence and it can move to new PC. That is big difference between OEM & Retail.

Not sure why Microsoft are telling you to chase people you bought software off 4 years ago. They should know you cannot reuse an OEM key that is tied to last motherboard/CPU. Not yet anyway. They haven't signlaed that is likely to change that much.

If you had done this in a few weeks, Microsoft are changing the way activation works so a new motherboard won't auto deactivate win 10. But you changed over half the PC, so it stands to reason that this would have set off deactivation even in that case.

Solution

Immortal99

Honorable
Jun 30, 2016
Thank you very much xh for your quick answer, makes sense i just didnt factor in the thought of buying a new windows 10 os product key too another 100 bucks guess ill just deal with the watermark for a bit and then buy it later, thank you