Windows 10 taskbar and start button not working

Markcelo

Reputable
Feb 25, 2016
Greetings,

For some reason, when I restarted my computer, my start button does not work, I click it and nothing happens.
I can't even adjust my volume nor set my wifi connections.
I've tried multiple fixes, using this command: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\appxmanifest.xml"} on powershell, resetting the services using a batch file which can be found in the attachments if you're interested, using sfc /scannow, restoring the image using the following commands: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth + Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth + Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth + Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full Path to install.wim file:1 (F:\sources\install.wim), shutting down explorer.exe then restarting my PC, creating a new account, etc.
Is there any other solution that may fix my issue?

Regards,
Marky

Mark RM

Admirable
before looking for fixes can you tell us about your PC hardware? I've encountered this issues when cutting over from Windows 7 on some dells and it turned out to be the old sound card drivers. Things of that nature. So details do help some of the guys here figure things out.

Hi,
There may be a deeper issue you need sorted out, however for now you can do an in-place W10 upgrade.

1) create W10 install media
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

2) from W10 running, start "setup.exe" on the media (I recommend a USB stick)

3) make sure you KEEP your programs and data when prompted

4) finish install, any MS updates

This will reinstall the core of Windows 10.

I would also suggest running Memtest86 for a full pass. www.memtest86.com

There are other things that could cause this as well:
- power supply
- virus, or other data corruption
- bad drive

Other:
The same W10 install media can be used to do a clean install. You could for example buy an SSD like a Samsung 850 EVO 256GB if you wanted an SSD.

You would have ONLY the SSD attached, boot to W10, install (but do NOT enter a key), finish.. drivers etc. Then hookup old drive and copy any data back (if it boots to old drive change the BIOS boot order).

Clean install can be very confusing so plan that carefully.

Markcelo

Reputable
Feb 25, 2016

Greetings,

I already have an SSD. I don't think that the Power Supply would cause this issue, I highly doubt it, I have a XFX 550W which is more than enough for my GTX 970 and all my other hardware.
Scanned my PC for viruses using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and AdwCleaner.
As for the bad drive, like I said I already scanned for errors using sfc /scannow multiple times.
I did a memory test using the default one from Windows, which is more than enough, the Memtest86 takes way too long and since I haven't encountered any errors related to memory such as BSODs, I don't think the issue here is faulty RAM.
I could do a in-place W10 upgrade, but I really do not want to reinstall every program I have, I'm looking for a different solution.

Either way, thank you for replying to this thread.

Regards.

Markcelo

Reputable
Feb 25, 2016

Greetings,

Here's my system info:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. B85M-K
BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/22/16 09:57:28 Ver: 10.11
RAM: 7,94 GB
HDD/SSD: (1) KINGSTON SV300S37A120G (2) ST1000DM003-1ER162
Sound Card: (1) Realtek High Definition Audio (2) NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM) (3) NVIDIA High Definition Audio (4) VB-Audio Virtual Cable (5) Virtual Audio Cable
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bits 10586 Multiprocessor Free
PSU: XFX TS 550W 80PLUS Bronze
Mouse: Reddragon Centrophorus
Keyboard: Gaming Mechanical KB-1815
Case: Nox NX200
Monitor: ASUS VG248QE
Cooling: CPU Stock cooler + 120 mm LED RED + 80/120 mm

For the record, I recently updated my sound, display (NVIDIA) and my network driver.

Regards.

u2desire420

Commendable
May 17, 2016
I had the same issue after doing a clean install and loading all my software to quickly without doing some reboots when I should have. I solved it by creating a new account and logging in with it than I just deleted the old account (moving Documents etc. over first). I booted to a command prompt and used command line to create the new account.