Partitions Not Recognized?

Endless Derp

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016
My computer has a GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 motherboard from Gigabyte, a 120GB SSD from Kingston, and a 1TB HDD for storage. I've already installed Windows 10 a couple of times, but when I boot the computer it acts like there's nothing there. When I go to the boot manager in the UEFI it displays the following options:

P0: Kingston SV300S37A120G
P1: WDC WD10EZEX-005n5A0
KDI-MSFTWindows 10 PMAP
UEFI KDI-MSFTWindows 10 PMAP, Partition 1
Windows Boot Manager (P0: Kingston SV300S37A120G)

Based on this, it seems like it isn't recognizing partitions 2 through 4 in drive 0, since P1: WDC WD10EZEX-005n5A0 seems to be my HDD. Or it may not be recognizing any of the partitions in drive 0. Also, in case it matters, I installed from an actual Microsoft-issue USB, not an installation USB I created myself.

What are your suggestions for fixing this? Please keep in mind that I would have to lug this thing over to someone else's house to connect it to the internet, my apartment isn't going to have internet access for 1-2 weeks (please don't ask) and I'm currently posting this from a McDonald's wireless hotspot.

Update: Just did some additional research and tried following the steps in http://windowsreport.com/install-windows-10-using-uefi/

The computer seemed to have no problem recognizing the USB and booting it in UEFI mode, based on the fact that UEFI KDI-MSFTWindows 10 PMAP, Partition 1 is a boot option. The CSM feature was already enabled and the secure boot feature was already disabled when I accessed the UEFI options, but I saved my settings anyway before exiting. I selected UEFI KDI-MSFTWindows 10 PMAP, Partition 1 to boot from and installed Windows again. This solved nothing, the UEFI still isn't recognizing partition 4 on drive 0.

Solution
Windows boot manager should be first, then UEFI KDI-MSFTWindows 10 PMAP, Partition 1
CSM lets you boot in legacy, you want CSM Disabled to boot off a UEFI system.

CSM enabled matches Win 7, Disabled matches win 8 & Win 10

If you look at page 58 of your manual it explains that.

The reason CSM sees nothing is your SSD is formatted in GPT, CSM can only boot MBR discs and cannot even see the win 10 install on the drive. To a computer set as CSM, the Win 10 disc formatted in GPT just has 1 big partition on it, not 4, and it can't do anything with it as the partition doesn't have the right files to enable the PC to boot.

http://www.howtogeek.com/193669/whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive/

UEFI...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows boot manager should be first, then UEFI KDI-MSFTWindows 10 PMAP, Partition 1
CSM lets you boot in legacy, you want CSM Disabled to boot off a UEFI system.

CSM enabled matches Win 7, Disabled matches win 8 & Win 10

If you look at page 58 of your manual it explains that.

The reason CSM sees nothing is your SSD is formatted in GPT, CSM can only boot MBR discs and cannot even see the win 10 install on the drive. To a computer set as CSM, the Win 10 disc formatted in GPT just has 1 big partition on it, not 4, and it can't do anything with it as the partition doesn't have the right files to enable the PC to boot.

http://www.howtogeek.com/193669/whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive/

UEFI cannot boot MBR either, both boot systems use different ways to boot and UEFI was made to replace MBR, MBR was first created in 1982 and has major disadvantages compared to UEFI.

Your bios settings that had secure boot off and CSM on matched win 7 perfectly but were wrong for Win 10. Secure boot off is okay while you trying to install win 10 as it lets you boot off USB but the CSM setting was the opposite of what it needed to be to let you boot Win 10.

Solution

Endless Derp

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016

Cripes that was an easy solution! Thank you very much.

I actually did read that entry in the manual when I went through the steps from that windowsreport guide, but it doesn't explicitly state that enabling that mode disables the UEFI from reading a GPT partition. It just says that enabling CSM enables you to use a legacy boot process. I thought it would result in a slight loss of efficiency, not completely screw me.