Win10 Frequent pauses while typing accompanied by USB-device-mounted sound

jimofmex

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Since upgrading from Win7 to Win10 about a month ago, I have suffered frequent (every few minutes) pauses while typing and only while typing. I will suddenly notice that the last few characters that I have typed did not appear, then I will hear the USB mount sound. After a total of about 2 to 3 seconds, I can resume typing. The characters that I typed while paused are lost. I do not hear the USB mount sound except for when I am typing. I have found many similar problems on various forums, but none of the fixes have resolved or even changed this major problem for me. I have also updated all Win10 drivers from the ASRock site for my mobo and flashed the BIOS/UEFI to the latest version. These updates had no perceptible effect on anything.

I thought I might get around the problem by connecting my USB keyboard to the PS2 port using an adapter, but the keyboard does not work at all connected in this way. Maybe if I had a PS2 keyboard instead of using an adapter it would work, but I do not have access to one. The keyboard does not appear to be receiving power from the PS2 port.

I want to emphasize that this only started happening with the upgrade from Win7 to win10. I have used this system for 4.5 years.

Win10/ASRock Z77 Extreme4 mobo, i5, 8 gigs RAM, 240 gig SSD for system with a Microsoft USB keyboard.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I think I have resolved my issue after a fashion. My mobo has two USB 3.0 systems: Z77 and ASMedia ASM1042. I have discovered that the ASMedia circuit isn't working at all. It was working before I upgraded to Win10. I updated the ASmedia driver to version 1.16.26.1 dated June 2015 but that did not help. I disconnected everything from the USB ports provided by ASMedia yesterday. The pauses have not happened all day today. I guess I will have to get by with only 2 USB 3.0 ports.
want to download the intel chipset drivers from intel. there newer then ones on mb vendor web page. also flip the keyboard over and make sure you have the newest drivers for your microsoft keyboard. if you have wif and usb dongles move the usb keyboard to the front of the case. some time they can interfear with each other. also check online see if some rev of the keyboard have issues.

jimofmex

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Thank-you smorizio. I downloaded and ran the Intel Driver Update Utility. The only driver it replaced was for the Intel graphics. I then searched for problems with the MS Wired Keyboard 200. Many people are complaining about the default setting enabling the keyboard to power down to save energy. I disabled this feature although it wasn't causing me any issues so far as I know. It does explain why the lights on the kb kept going out. I am now waiting to see if I still have the issue. There are periods of time when it doesn't happen for quite awhile, although it's been happening very frequently this morning. I do not use a wi-fi dongle, but I will try moving the keyboard to an 'earlier' USB 2.0 jack. I've already tried it connected USB 3.0 and it still has the problem. I will identify the USB 2.0 ports that would be on the front of the case if I had a case (I built the components into my desk so that I wouldn't need case fans ... don't like the noise.) I'll report back. I believe I will also drag out my mechanical USB keyboard to see if it has the same issue even though it has a wonky shift key.

jimofmex

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
I think I have resolved my issue after a fashion. My mobo has two USB 3.0 systems: Z77 and ASMedia ASM1042. I have discovered that the ASMedia circuit isn't working at all. It was working before I upgraded to Win10. I updated the ASmedia driver to version 1.16.26.1 dated June 2015 but that did not help. I disconnected everything from the USB ports provided by ASMedia yesterday. The pauses have not happened all day today. I guess I will have to get by with only 2 USB 3.0 ports.

Solution