Bottleneck: A4-6300 CPU or Kingston V300 SSD?

PEZ123

Honorable
Aug 27, 2014
Hi, I have a PC on an MSI A78M-E45 FM2+ board.

It is only being used as an office/light media computer, but compared to other machines I am maintaining, it is a bit slow, and not as "instant-responding" as I had hoped for.

The components are the above MB, an AMD A4-6300 APU, 8 gb misc DDR3 ram and a Kingston V300 SSD. The machine is currently running Win 7, but I plan to upgrade it to Win 10 before the upgrade offer expires.

I realise that both the CPU and SSD are mediocre, the question is just which part to spend the equivelant of 90$ on - an A8-7600 or a Samsung EVO 850 SSD.

At least in theory, the 850 EVO is massively faster than the V300:
http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Evo-120GB-vs-Kingston-SSDNow-V300-120GB/3484vs1892 But the question is if that translates to a better real world experience - I would hate to drop 90$ and not see a difference :)

PEZ123

Honorable
Aug 27, 2014
Also a seq read/write test with Anvil gave it 236/104 mb/sec, so I believe it is from before Kingston botched the drives, even though I am not impressed with the speed, compared to the 840 EVO, Intel 520 and Adata SP920 SSDs I have in other machines ;-)

Your CPU is pretty weak, I believe that's the bottle neck, cause your SSD benchmarks like an extra 80 read and write speeds.

The A4 is an extremely mediocre CPU at best. Something like a Pentium or Celeron would provide a noticeably snappier performance.

The upgrade from SSD to SSD is going to do you absolutely nothing. Flash is flash. "Faster" SSD's benefit from better sequential read and writes, and in this case fake speeds by including a RAM disk which is optional. This isn't a good idea to use considering volatile memory pretty much makes an SSD pointless, but that's just me.

The access times of an SSD are basically what sets them apart from a HDD. Something else must be causing this. The CPU is quite weak though, 2 cores doesn't really get you much due to the slow single core performance.

I wouldn't call the 850 EVO massively faster. As soon as TLC cache runs out, they slow down. 1 GiB tests doesn't prove anything, which is basically every user made benchmark, showing impressive numbers. My Intenso SSD is showing impressive reads and writes, until you start moving large files. Can be misleading sometimes if not properly tested. Trust Tom's SSD reviews or any reviews which includes as many tests as possible before making a conclusion.

All the best!

PEZ123

Honorable
Aug 27, 2014
Thank you for your replies. I guess I will be looking into upgrading the CPU if I am to spend more money on this machine.