Problem with folder window sizing

Rannison

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I'm experiencing an issue with my work setup where after system reboot, the system seems to be "forgetting" the size and sort settings of folders. Please see screen shot of what it looks like: Screen Shot

I specifically exclude this during system maintenance, but I did recently enable launching folders in separate processes (not sure if that has anything to do with this). Any thoughts? Thank you!

Solution
Computers are strange things. Some software messes up on leap year too(figure it would be patched, but not always).

You have a very specific use. I do not know why it has started to do that. You do have the latest build from what I can see(A new one will be released next month.).

I also rarely have explorer crashes so I have left it as a single process. I think I will change it to see if anything strange happens.
Try to make it a bit larger(when near the edges of the screen, you may be snapping to the edges instead and not getting a new size). I have had Edge look like it is not saving size because i was snapping it to the top of the screen instead.

Set your preferences and try holding shift and closing the window.

I would set the folder as one process again just in case it is the issue.

Rannison

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010

Thanks for the quick response!

I generally use only my keyboard rather than the mouse, my job requires very heavy computer usage and it saves a massive amount of time (accumulatively) to not have to take my hand off my keyboard just to direct the mouse; that said, I'm pretty sure I'm not snapping the windows to any edges. Additionally, I always use alt + space, x for any windows that aren't already maximized, I only occasionally restore / resize if I have to e.g., compare 3+ folder contents simultaneously, but even then I've never resized any window to be as small as what's shown in the screen shot, you can see in the screen shot it's so small it doesn't even display the full width of the navigation pane, much less the actual folder contents.

Can you please clarify what holding shift while closing the window does? And to clarify, Alt+Shift+F4?

And launching the folders in a separate process has been a godsend to me, as before whenever explorer hangs I conversely want to hang myself because all my open folders get closed. My work process results in 15+ active windows being left open at any time, I won't get too much into detail about my work so just take my word that it's beyond a major inconvenience for me to re-navigate and open everything back up. I have 32GB of RAM installed so resources shouldn't be an issue for the setup.

Thanks again for your help and any additional details or thoughts! I realize it might not seem like a big deal, I've basically engrained to muscle memory alt + space, x, alt + v, o, down, down, enter, but you can imagine I'm slightly peeved that I have to enter that sequence so many times a day. I'm also just really curious as to the root cause, I've never encountered an issue like this before.

You are right, it is very unlikely you are snapping windows if you are not using the mouse at all. Start + left and right can snap windows(but that is not likely the cause since it does it when ever you restart).

Unfortunately the shift and close is with the mouse, but may or may not help. I think it does nothing for you any more. At one point i remember either control or shift close saving window preferences for all future explorer windows.

Do you mind hitting start and typing winver. Are you running the latest version of Windows on your computer?

I can understand using lots of shortkeys because they do save lots of time.

This looks very strange I have not seen anything quite like what you are dealing with.

Rannison

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit V1511 (Build 10586.420).

Thanks, I'm thinking it might also have something to do with having a dual monitor setup with different orientations, as I've had other program react strangely before too.

Computers are strange things. Some software messes up on leap year too(figure it would be patched, but not always).

You have a very specific use. I do not know why it has started to do that. You do have the latest build from what I can see(A new one will be released next month.).

I also rarely have explorer crashes so I have left it as a single process. I think I will change it to see if anything strange happens.

Solution