Is G sync worth getting if using a gtx 1070 card?

Kman2639

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
I'm buying the msi 1070 gaming x graphics card and only going to be using 1080p. With that high end of a card is it worth investing in g sync with a 144Hz monitor? if not I would just get a 1080p 144Hz free sync.

Solution
I would just get a monitor without G-Sync and just turn adaptive sync on in the drivers, save yourself some money. Adaptive Sync gets rid of tearing when your GPU is producing too many frames, just like G-Sync. The only thing it doesn't do is double frames when you have low FPS but that shouldn't be an issue for you.

G-Sync isn't really worth it. They charge you $200 compared to the same Free-Sync monitor and it get's even more expensive with the high end G-Sync monitors.

FYI G-Sync is a proprietary format that can only be used with Nvidia cards. Free-Sync on the other hand is a DisplayPort standard and can be implemented by anyone. The problem is, Nvidia doesn't want to use Free-Sync as that would mean them losing the money they are making from G-Sync. As of right now, Nvidia will not let you use Free-Sync on their video cards.

Kman2639

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016

Ok, I just ordered my msi gtx 1070 gaming x card, so does that mean now I HAVE to order a g sync monitor? So if I wanted to get the Asus VG248QE monitor, I am now for forced to find another option with g sync?

If you want to use variable refresh rate technology then yes, you are limited to gsync.

There seems to be some confusion on what VFR is. Have a read here: http://www.howtogeek.com/228735/g-sync-and-freesync-explained-variable-refresh-rates-for-gaming/

Pair an NVIDIA GPU with a FreeSync display or an AMD GPU with a G-Sync display and the display will work, but you won’t get the variable refresh rate goodness.

Hi,
1) A good GSYNC monitor is about $750USD.
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/XvfmP6/asus-monitor-pg279q

GSYNC simply means the GPU tells the monitor when to update, so when a new frame is rendered a very short time later it is drawn on the screen. This makes gaming a lot SMOOTHER.

With GSYNC you don't need to use VSYNC (which caps to the monitor refresh rate). VSYNC adds lag by buffering a frame because it's waiting for the next monitor refresh cycle. If you turn OFF VSYNC then you don't get this added lag but you also get screen tearing which can look HORRIBLE at times, or in some cases it's barely noticeable (the type of game, and FPS are the biggest factors there).

2) 1080p and GSYNC?
I'm not sure why you are specifying 1080p. Is it a budget issue?

Higher resolution is better. Even if your game was too demanding you could always lower the resolution. That's not likely to be much of an issue with a GTX1070 though.

3) 60Hz and 144Hz:
If not using GSYNC/Freesync then you have to think about when to use:
a) VSYNC ON
b) VSYNC OFF
c) Adaptive VSYNC
d) "HALF" Adaptive VSYNC

The Adaptive options can be forced on a per-game basis in the NVidia Control Panel. I've used them in several games. It simply turns VSYNC ON or OFF.

*One of the worst things you can do is have a 144Hz monitor and turn on VSYNC. People do it all the time. You get variable frame times which results in STUTTERING. Several factors affect how sever this is but it can be quite bad.

Setup example for 60Hz panel:
1. run FRAPS (or use Steam FPS tool)
2. run GAME
3. Crank visuals to max, observe FPS
4. Adjust visuals and see if 60FPS constant is possible without lowering visuals too far. NO?

5. Adjust visuals so you get 60FPS at least 90% of the time
6. leave game
7. Force on Adaptive VSYNC (NCP-> manage 3D settings-> add game-> ... save)
8. verify it works in game (should lock at FPS cap, but get screen tear if dropping below)

*Substitute 144FPS (144Hz) or 72FPS (144Hz using the "Half" method) as applicable.

4) FAST SYNC:
This is an upcoming driver update that is really useful for 60Hz monitors. If you can output at least 120FPS then it will still lock to 60FPS (same as VSYNC to avoid screen tearing) but will reduce lag/sluggishness by letting the GPU produce frames as fast as it can but then only sample the last one completed prior to when the monitor does its next refresh.

So it's better than normal VSYNC@60Hz but not quite as good as VSYNC@120Hz.

I tested this using NVInspector for COD4 MW. I saw my FPS counter toggle between 120FPS and 180FPS. Fast Sync handles this automatically.

5) Monitor?

I'll give some links, but it really boils down to BUDGET. In general:
a) GSYNC is great
b) 144Hz is better than 60Hz
c) IPS is better than TN
d) 6ms is highest response time I can recommend (the refresh rate also reduces blur/ghosting so 4ms@60Hz has more blur than 4ms@144Hz)
e) 27" is a great size, however 1920x1080 resolution can make the pixels obvious unless sitting far away (over THREE FEET away)

You can use PCPARTPICKER as a guide. I'm sure a few monitors have been suggested whilst I type this tome.

Other:
A lot of hate about GSync's price. Well, that's business. They also came out with something that greatly benefited the gaming community whilst AMD basically attempted to copy them.

Freesync on some monitors is about the same. One some of the monitors it's HORRIBLE. They fixed a major issue affecting performance BELOW the minimum of the range but it still requires the max/min ratio to be at least 2.5X. So, 30Hz to 75Hz is okay, but 30Hz to 60Hz is not.

Some of the Freesync monitors are 40Hz to 60Hz which is so pathetic I'd suggest never using this (not that you can with an NVidia card). You only get the smooth gaming when your GPU is between 40FPS and 60FPS. I won't go any further into it, just as a warning.

**I'll post some monitors below, but maybe COPY this post for reference of the Adaptive VSYNC or other info.

Monitor examples:

1) $350USD-> http://pcpartpicker.com/product/T8dFf7/dell-monitor-u2515h
- 25"
- IPS
- 60Hz
- (no FreeSync/GSync)
- great Warranty

A lot of games benefit from the higher resolution (especially ones with small text/hud elements like CIV5), as does the desktop. As discussed, Fast Sync when released will help with latency if using VSYNC. Also high res helps with the desktop.

I could not go back to 1920x1080. Also the pixel density means you don't want a lower resolution monitor too close.

*ALTERNATIVE but 27": http://pcpartpicker.com/product/LVV48d/asus-monitor-pb278q

I bought the Dell for my sister because the Warranty was awesome. I'd used the same Warranty earlier for my own Dell. 3-year, zero-dead-pixel, and no cost shipping or repair. I sent in my RMA info, then after that went through my replacement showed up the NEXT DAY with the shipping packaging and pre-paid waybill sticker to slap on that.

This ASUS has a 2" larger screen which is actually quite noticeable. I'm not familiar with the Asus warranty though and it's often hard to figure out the exact details.

2) IPS, 1920x1080, 144Hz?
These don't appear to exist. You can get TN (poor viewing angle/color) with these specs or jump to a higher resolution which costs a lot more like the GSYNC panel I'll be linking.

3) $230 TN, 1920x1080, 144Hz
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/rkphP6/asus-monitor-vg248qe

There's a big price range so you need to do research:
a) quality
b) motion blur reduction (flickers backlight)
c) Speakers and/or audio passthrough for headphones or desktop speakers

4) $770-> http://pcpartpicker.com/product/XvfmP6/asus-monitor-pg279q
- IPS
- 2560x1440
- 144Hz
- GSYNC

So... ?

There are a lot of pros and cons. You'd have to decide what is most important to you.

My top choice would be the Dell U2515H or the Asus I linked for the first choice above. Read that info.

GSYNC is too expensive IMO, and Freesync can't be used.

However, as discussed "FAST SYNC" is going to make 60Hz more responsive for some games. As with everything there are PROS and CONS. To me, 2560x1440 and IPS are a must.

Quality and Warranty are also important.

After that it's the question of refresh rate (60Hz or 144Hz?) or GSYNC.

So, given the pricing on everything the above two monitors are my top choice. If the Asus Warranty and quality seems acceptable I'd get that one. I can say the Dell U2515H looks great, though again noticeably smaller than my 27".

No, you don't have to get a monitor with G-Sync. It's only that Free-Sync won't work.

Kman2639

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016

I'm definitely considering of getting a 1440p 27" 144hz G-sync monitor but the budget is what scares me. At times I will be playing 1080p for faster frame rates on games that need it (maybe Arma 3 and some other GPU/CPU heavy games). I think it would be the BEST option although the price is what scares me. In your opinion is it worth waiting a month on my build to save up for this monitor specifically? I can buy something right now for 450ish but anything more I would have to wait.

I would just get a monitor without G-Sync and just turn adaptive sync on in the drivers, save yourself some money. Adaptive Sync gets rid of tearing when your GPU is producing too many frames, just like G-Sync. The only thing it doesn't do is double frames when you have low FPS but that shouldn't be an issue for you.

Solution