Need help getting 1st IT Job

bwiggsjr

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
I am in need of help/advice with getting my first IT job.

First a quick back story of myself:
Age 20-23 Store manager for Jersey Mikes Sub
23-25 customer service rep. for GEICO
25 (present) cable tech/install for contractor or COX

Above is some of my work experience. A few weeks ago I broke my ankle with my current job as a cable tech installer and should be cleared to return to work by the first week of August. But while I have been out of work I have been doing some thinking and I really want a job in something I'm passionate about, computers and IT.

Around the time I should be cleared to go back to work I will be moving out of state to Florida in the pensacola area. My brother in law said he could hire me to install cable in Florida if I couldn't find a job when I get there, but I really want to follow my passion. I feel I may of waited to long to make this decision because I am married and have a son so I can't afford to do an internship for free. Luckily for use my in laws are going to let us stay with them while we get on our feet, but I don't want to have to stay there long.

Currently I am studying to take my A+ cert exam. I have the Mike Meyers book and that is how I am studying. I have never had an IT job before but my current job has me trouble shooting routers and modems if the Internet isn't working. Besides that everything else has came from me doing stuff at home. I have built a gaming PC before and have also taken apart some old laptops and put them back together. I have fixed computers and changed and upgraded computers before also. I have even taken some computer courses at ECPI.

I found a post for a job opening for IT in Pensacola. They require you have the A+ cert or the ability to aquire it within 30-90 days working there. That is no issue because I know I can do that. They also are asking for 1-2 of experience which is what I don't have from another job.

Was wondering if you had anything suggestions for me or any help on how to make a resume on highlighting things I have done at my other jobs.

Thank you in advance for any help and also reading this.

Solution
IT works involves a lot of troubleshooting and people skills.

As a store manager and GEICO rep, I trust you have the people skills. Plus the requistite verbal and written communication skills therein.

What is important is that you have work experience per se even if not IT directly.

Quite possible that your work history and brief stint with COX and computer courses may also be acceptable in lieu of the 1 - 2 years experience.

Your resume and interviews must clearly demonstrate that you will be a good employee: reliable, honest, willing to do more than necesary as necessary, and overall be able to do the job. Be able to quantify your existing skills and work experience. Work ethic must show through.

Professionalism is a must...

Ralston18

Titan
IT works involves a lot of troubleshooting and people skills.

As a store manager and GEICO rep, I trust you have the people skills. Plus the requistite verbal and written communication skills therein.

What is important is that you have work experience per se even if not IT directly.

Quite possible that your work history and brief stint with COX and computer courses may also be acceptable in lieu of the 1 - 2 years experience.

Your resume and interviews must clearly demonstrate that you will be a good employee: reliable, honest, willing to do more than necesary as necessary, and overall be able to do the job. Be able to quantify your existing skills and work experience. Work ethic must show through.

Professionalism is a must. Appearence, manners, attitude (big one) all count.

Do not "enhance" your resume. Potential employers quickly find out such things.

Study the companies to which you apply. Know about them and look at all of the current job openings. Get a sense of the customer base, the culture, their respective objective's and missions. Sounds corny to some people but a really good employee is looking for more than just a paycheck. Knowing about the company is important.

Summary: leverage your strengths, show a willingness to learn and keep learning. You will be at the bottom for awhile but once you prove yourself then other options will become available. So many places are complaining about problems with finding good workers.

You should be a good choice so work to give yourself every possible chance. Make sure your resume maps to to the skill set required by the job position. Generally means a customized resume for each position you apply for. Again do not enhance but be sure to show how some skill or experience you have matches the postion's requirements. Takes time and work.

Solution