PC is slow even after upgrade, and HDD makes a rhytmic ticking sound during startup - Is it dying?

MrBaker

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
A few months ago i noticed my PC was showing the following symptoms:

- High disk activity
- Some Programs stop responding frequently or take a unusually long time to open (not extremely slow but it's noticeable).

- Windows also takes a while to go from logon screen to desktop upon a cold boot ( also not extremely slow, but noticeable).

These still occur even after reformatting and installing everything from scratch and continue to happen even after i upgraded my hardware with a newer CPU, motherboard and more RAM.

Today another worrying symptom:
- Just before POST, there is this "tic-tic-tic, tic-tic-tic, tic-tic-tic..." noise coming from the HDD.
Then the POST screen appears and the OS boots normally.

I tried running the command "wmic diskdrive get status" to check the drive's SMART status and it shows OK.

However i'm still worried because generally ticking sounds and slow-downs may be a sign of a failing HDD.

It's a Samsung H103SJ 1TB SATA II, approx. 5 years old.

Edit: I've put my ear near the HDD, and the "ticks" sound more like grinding noises.

I also came across a new symptom: The PC shuts down during OS boot.

Guess I'll have to replace both HDD and PSU to avoid any headaches... :/

Hi there MrBaker,

I would totally agree with Colif. You really need to back up the data stored on the drive ASAP.

After that, you can test it with a tool that can provide a SMART report. Look for pending/reallocated and uncorrectable sectors.

It will not hurt to attach the drive with different cables(especially power one) and see if this would make any difference.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

MrBaker

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
Well, Looks like the drive is indeed waving good bye... The ticks are a little louder, lower-pitched, and sound like scratching or grinding. I will replace it and the PSU as soon as i can. (It's a 4 year old, generic one)...

I just hope it doesn't die before it's replacement...

Colif

Win 11 Master
the clicking is the head hitting the platters, its not meant to do that, its meant to float above them like the needle on a record player. Sooner you replace it, the better.

MrBaker

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
Unfortunatey i don't yet have the money to buy both new HDD and PSU.
- I don't want to risk buying a new hard drive, and end up damaging it too because of an old and possibly faulty power supply, so I'll just replace both.

Thanks everyone for your help! :D