CPU fan error: Fan settings keep resetting

NobizzeeX

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Hello all,

I recently started having this problem 4 years after building my computer.

I have an ASUS Z77 sabertooth motherboard which has thermal monitoring and fan controls built in.

When I start my computer up, my CPU fan runs a bit over 500 RPM. However, the default system is set up to alert me when the CPU fan runs under 600 RPM. I get a CPU fan error and I am told to press F1 to enter the BIOS. When I first built my computer, I got around this by following the directions, going into the BIOS, and changing the alert to fire when the CPU fan runs under 500 RPM. So, this was no longer a problem.

For some reason, the program now forgets my settings every time I shut down my computer.

So, every time I start up the computer, I have to press F1 to enter the BIOS, change my settings, and restart just to be able to use my computer.

Is there a reason why the my settings keep resetting now? I read in other threads that the mother board battery may be low, but my system time is still correct. Maybe the battery is low enough to forget settings but keep the time correct, or could there be another reason why this is happening?

Thank you very much in advance for the assistance.

Solution
You should replace the battery, it's a nice easy fix potentially. A second possibility, not 100% sure on that board, but you might be able to set the CPU fan to not monitor it, I know that's what I had to do on my Z170 Sabertooth, but I don't remember if I had that option on my old Z77 Sabertooth.

NobizzeeX

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012

The date and time are correct (at least so far). Do you think it would be good just to replace the CMOS battery anyway?

You should replace the battery, it's a nice easy fix potentially. A second possibility, not 100% sure on that board, but you might be able to set the CPU fan to not monitor it, I know that's what I had to do on my Z170 Sabertooth, but I don't remember if I had that option on my old Z77 Sabertooth.

Solution

NobizzeeX

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012

I see. Thank you for the advice. I'll try to replace the battery.

I already tried to disable monitoring the CPU fan, but it resets that too.

ChaoticWolf

Honorable
Like everyone has stated, likely a cmos battery that's near death or is already dead even.
If the date and time and any other setting resets, then its a dead battery for sure.
Replace the battery and it should work again correctly
Some motherboards cant have the battery removed for whatever reason, I dont know if yours can be removed, most likely it can

zzeitg

Prominent
Nov 26, 2017

Hello,
I guess I have the same problem. I change fan rpm (in monitoring section of BIOS), save and restart, but then later, after several reboots/restarts of my PC, the initial value (600 rpm) is auto-reset.

I'm wondering if replacement of CMOS battery has fixed this issue in your case.

(My motherboard is Asus X79-Deluxe.)