Looking for help refreshing PC around an AMD HD 6970

citenx

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I've got an old rig I set up in 2010 that needs a refresh. The rig is used for gaming (not too seriously, but graphics and game performance is an important part of the purpose) and for running some VMs that I use for work. Right now, I can play most newer titles on high or ultra settings with acceptable frame rate.

Current specs:

• Processor: Athlon II X4 640 overclocked to 3.2 GHz
    RAM: 4x2GB (8GB total) 1600 DDR3
    GPU: AMD HD 6970
    Mobo: ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD

The HD 6970 still works great, so I'd like to keep it. The only components I'm replacing are the processor, mobo, cooler, and RAM (parts list here). The whole thing is around $350.

My question is should I stick with AMD FX-8350, or should I go with a newer A-series APU? I thought an A8 6xxx would crossfire with the 6970, but can find no evidence that it will or won't work. It's mainly anecdotal "it's not on the approved cards list."

What's my best bang-for-buck? Is there a completely different/better option for the money that I'm not considering?

Do not sink money in that dead AM3+ platform. An i5 will serve you ALOT better and the patform has a future.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: *Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: *GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($53.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $321.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-07 13:33 EDT-0400

Nobody in their right minds would recommend that you invest in a 8350 these days. It's 2012 technology.

In your budget, you could even squeeze an i7 equivalent seeing as you use VMs and stuff:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: *ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($66.33 @ OutletPC)
Memory: *G.Skill Value 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($51.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $358.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-07 13:38 EDT-0400

That CPU is equivalent to an i7 4770.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Even if you could, you wouldn't want to - it would mostly just gimp the 6970.

Hlsgsz's suggestions are appropriate for your situation.

citenx

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

Thanks a lot for the recommendations! I'd like surround sound, so I decided to modify your suggestions here for a full ATX, i5 6500 and ripjaw ram (I've had great luck with g.skill).

Any other recommendations are welcomed.

citenx

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

Thanks a lot!

If I were to upgrade my video card, what would you recommend? I know AMD but I'm clueless as far as NVIDIA goes. For this build, I'd select a Radeon R9 390 8GB. Thoughts? Stick with AMD or jump ship completely and see what I resell my old components for (hopefully enough for a 6-pack).

Both those builds include MBs that have surround sound, so no need for ATX(btw the format has nothing to do with the sound).
You will also have no issue whatsoever with the RAMs included in them.

Other suggestions? Take the Xeon build. You'll be amazed what it can do with VMs(it's nice to have 8 threads ;) ).
You're welcome.

citenx

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Okay, totally took the Xeon build. Doing the install today.

I also celebrated by buying Doom & Fallout 4 (GMG has a great sale).

I'm a little worried about the graphics performance with this rig now that I have the guts upgraded. If I were to allocate another $200-300 for an upgrade, what would you all recommend? If I do upgrade, I'd like to make it last, so I'm looking at 8G cards and will probably wait until next month so my wife doesn't kill me.

It looks like the current best of the bunch in that price range is the r9 390(x) or the RX 480 8GB. I also read about a new VR-ready Radeon RX 480 that will clock in around the $200 mark.

Opinions? I'm not really looking for the king here; just something with good bang:buck ratio and a unit that will last me a while. I have no plans to get a VR unit, but as prices come down, I may consider it.

Well in month I woudl grab a 6 gig GTX 1060 that's coming out on the 19th. Non-reference, ofcourse.
That card will probably outperform the RX 480. Though, if you like AMD cards, waiting untill october to see how AMD Vega does against the 1080/1070/1060 would be a good idea too.
I'm glad to hear that you took the Xeon build. You made a smart choice.

citenx

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I like the price point of the RX 480, but why can't I find it in stock anywhere? Are the cards out in the wild pre-release, or are they all out of stock?

Only teh reference ones have been released and they are mostly out of stock. you should wait for and get a non-reference one anyway. They should be coming in a week or so. Seriously, teh non-reference cards are really worth waiting for.