Corsair VS650 - Good or Bad?

fabiodrm

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
Hello guys!

I already saw a lot of post here saying this PSU inst good.

I have one running this setup for 2 years:

AMD FX-8320
ASRock 970 PRO 3 Rev 2
8GB DDR3 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance
SSD + HDD
Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC
Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer

I had a problem? No, not a single one.

Now this PSU is running my current setup:

i7 6700k
Asus Z170-AR
16GB DDR4 2400mhz HyperX Savage
SSD + HDD
PNY GTX 980 OC 1500mhz
Corsair H80i GT

Not a single problem too.

I know this PSU dont have the best components on the market but... it is really bad?

My current power draw is about 480w.

Can someone recommend a good/professional technical review from this PSU?
I only found one technical reviews (from teclab) from VS350, VS450 and VS550 and they did really good on stress test.

D

Deleted member 217926

It's fine. No it's not a high end unit but it's not bad either. If availability is limited where you live it could very well be one of the better choices. Much better than any 'regional' unit.

fabiodrm

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016

high quality PSU here can cost more than U$250, and we dont have much choices like Antec and Seasonic =,(

this is simple. this PSU can work in such load some time. Most of the units will. Some units will fail immediately, some after time.
VS series is very budget. So components are not great. And it is not intended to work on high loads most of the time.
You might be lucky, and your unit will work fine. You might be less lucky, (and as time passes, this is more probable) your unit will fail.
Some units will just die with no harm done. Some will die take one or more components in your computer with them.

D

Deleted member 217926

The only problem with lower end Corsair units are the cheaper capacitors that tend to die about the time the warranty is up.

Some units will fail immediately, some after time.

Literally every power supply ever.

The VS is fine. And your current computer uses less power than the older AMD system so that's a plus.

Yes the Seasonic is a better unit. Your VS is what, 2 years old? Keep it another 2 years ( assuming no hardware upgrades ) then replace it.

fabiodrm

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016

yes this PSU is almost 2 and a half years old.

i will not upgrade my setup soon, maybe next year i will get a better GPU, like 1080 (use same/less power then my current one) when it will be cheaper.

D

Deleted member 217926

I would think about replacing the VS after 4 to 5 years. A high end unit you can safely get 8 to 10 years out of. After that I'm going to replace it no matter what just due to capacitor aging.