PC Crashes Only While Playing Games

romrick4

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016
So I have this problem where my PC blue screens with a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION error while playing graphically demanding games. I analyzed the minidump using WhoCrashed and it said it was probably caused by ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14CC20) Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF800D634DDB2, 0xFFFFD000220BFD80, 0x0). The crash happens very frequently while playing Guild Wars 2, usually within the first ten minutes. With Overwatch, it happens within the first hour of playing or sometimes not at all. Other games seem to work fine with no crash which include Tera, The Forest, Doom, Dayz, etc. I have reinstalled my gpu drivers multiple times using DDU and I still crash. I did a fresh install of windows with new updated gpu drivers and I still crash. I even replaced my RAM and I still crash. I have an AMD FX 8350 and Radeon R9 280x with 16GB Ram. At this point I am very frustrated and I'm hoping you guys can help me solve my problem. Thanks!

Solution
that ultra is a crappy unit... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
how much does it draw on the 12v+???

lets try these...in the order given...

> download display driver uninstaller from guru3d...run it and uninstall all current drivers...
> power off the system and reset the cmos battery...
> clean the card properly for dust accumulation...
> power on the system and update the bios to the latest one, but before that, keep a copy of the older bios, in case the new one doesnt work...(optional)
> now go to the nvidia/amd website and download the latest drivers for the card and install them...
> along with that u should update ur...vcredist, c++ redistributable, directx, and .net framework...

let us know wat...

romrick4

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016

AMD FX 8350 @ 4.00GHz
2x 8GB Kingston HyperX RAM
Asus M5A97 Mobo
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280x 3GB VRAM
ULTRA LSP 750 Watt PSU
Windows on 250GB Samsung SSD
Games on 2TB WD HDD

I changed the settings today from maxed out settings to autodetect or something lower and I was able to play a bit longer on Guild Wars before it crashed. I played Overwatch for a while on lowered settings (from EPIC to Ultra) and it hadn't crashed yet.

Oh, the mobo and psu I've had since 2012 and the rest has been upgraded throughout the years. RAM is most recent I had it put in last week.
CPU and GPU I've had since 2013

that ultra is a crappy unit... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
how much does it draw on the 12v+???

lets try these...in the order given...

> download display driver uninstaller from guru3d...run it and uninstall all current drivers...
> power off the system and reset the cmos battery...
> clean the card properly for dust accumulation...
> power on the system and update the bios to the latest one, but before that, keep a copy of the older bios, in case the new one doesnt work...(optional)
> now go to the nvidia/amd website and download the latest drivers for the card and install them...
> along with that u should update ur...vcredist, c++ redistributable, directx, and .net framework...

let us know wat happns...

Solution

romrick4

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016

Should I look into getting a new psu then?
The box says Max Output current is 68A on +12V
Alright I'll do all this in the morning. Thanks for helping me out by the way. I'll let you know what happens.

when you get a bugcheck with error code 0xC0000005
you will also want to run memtest86 to confirm your memory timings are ok.

it is also pretty common for outdated motherboard drivers to mess up nvidia graphics cards.
a old motherboard audio driver, messes with the Nvidia high definition audio support in the GPU
a old network driver can mess up the nvidia shadowplay streaming driver as well as any virus scanner to the point where the graphics driver does not respond withing its timeout windows.

you can even have usb drivers mess up the GPU on newer systems.

updating the BIOS and motherboard drivers can really help if you have not already done so.

romrick4

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016

So this ended up working for me. Thanks so much!