Will I get very huge bottleneck with this setup?

wong93

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
My current setup is

MOBO- MSI H55M-P33
RAM- 8GB
GPU- AMD 7750
CPU -I3 540
PSU- 550W
HDD- 1TB usual HDD
Monitor - Normal 24" 1080p

With this setup I can't play anything new as it is extremely laggy, latest titles like Witcher 3 and the others are totally unplayable even with lowest settings.

However, I am getting 60-80 FPS constantly on BF3 and BF4 multiplayer at everything lowest < Just telling this point to give you guys a rough idea of how my PC performs at everything low when comparing latest titles and older games

So my question is, if I change my current GPU and replace with RX 480, will I get insane bottleneck? If yes will changing the CPU to i5 solve it?

As I really want to play all the latest title but now even with lowest I can't play them.

Thank you!

You will see some bottlenecking if you go up to the 480 without upgrading your processor. I would definitely go to an i5 if you can afford doing both at once, ideally a Skylake, but an i5 4670 or 4690 will do the job just fine. However if you're just doing one or the other right now, go with the gpu, you'll see more of a performance upgrade with a new GPU.

EDIT: I didn't check the MB compatability, I would back logainofhades' recommendation and upgrade most of your system so you can throw in one of the processors I mentioned. I have a similar setup but with a better mobo, an i5 4670k (not overclocked) and a 7870, and I can run BF4 on highest with 60+ fps.

logainofhades

Titan
Yes it would bottleneck, and I am not sure a compatible i5 would solve it, as your system is quite old. Your least expensive option, would be to rebuild, using everything but that CPU and motherboard, and upgrading to an i5 4xxx series cpu, and an H97 motherboard. Also if that PSU is not a quality tier 1 or 2 unit, I would suggest replacing that too. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html?577d649323d54=reload

cfortney

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
My suggestion is to pick up the new GPU and see how everything performs. If you already had a Lynnfield i5, you'd be in much better shape, but being an i3, things look kind of iffy. If the games you want to play still aren't running well after picking up the RX 480, you have two options. Either hop on eBay and buy an i7-870 for about $80 used, or switch platforms all together over to something more modern like Skylake. The i7-870 will probably be capable, and $80 isn't such a terrible investment if you're on a tight budget.

Yes, very huge bottleneck. You are putting the cart before the horse. Just a quick peek through he CPU upgrade list and the i5 760 is significantly faster http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6393SB4234&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Processors+-+Desktops-_-9SIA6393SB4234&gclid=CM2Z3uiF5M0CFYaTfgoda0MH6g&gclsrc=aw.ds and then upgrade your GFX card.