Bad Image Errors and dll Errors

ScourgeTH

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
So over the past few weeks I've been experiencing a number of .dll errors and bad image errors when running certain applications. Basically here's a list of applications giving me problems.

Faulting Application Photoshop.exe: Gives me an error Faulting module name: ntdll.dll
Faulting Application steam.exe - Faulting Module name: ntdll.dll
Faulting Application SkypeHost.exe - Faulting Module name: WinTypes.dll
Origin.exe - UNABLE TO UPDATE

When I installed my NVIDIA drivers I was faced with the error "setup.exe - Bad Image C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\samcli.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.....Error status 0xc000012f" NOTE: my NVIDIA drivers installed successfully but I still got the samcli.dll error while installing.

When trying to install my Motherboard drivers I am faced with the same samcli.dll error mentioned before. And when I dismiss the error, I get another error saying "Access violation at address 00433D27 in module ASRSetup.exe. Read of address 00000008.

THINGS I HAVE TRIED:
I tried to manually mess with system32 and syswow64 see if I can manually replace those files as they may have been corrupt. NO LUCK

I tried resetting my entire PC and reformatted the harddrive, reinstalling windows fresh from a backup image that I have. NO LUCK

I tried registering the DLL files in the registry as I thought maybe they weren't registered. NO LUCK

I tried checking the Hard Drive as I thought maybe it was a harddrive errors. Hard drive was tested 8 times and it passed all the tests.

I tried sfc /scannow to see if there were any damaged files that need to be replaced. NO LUCK (SFC Fails after verification process)

I ran chkdsk and it gave me a data stream problem "$i30" (which usually is nothing too drastic) which was fixed successfully, ran chkdsk again after the fix and the drive was completely normal with no bad sectors.

So basically....I'm literally out of ideas on how to fix this. I've done my countless hours of research on this error and have found no solution. I feel like it's a hardware issue since I did a fresh install and I am still faced with this error. This never happened before and I have no clue what else to try. Any suggestions would be great. Basically 2 of my applications that I use the most (besides chrome) like Steam and Photoshop are not working.

Computer Specs:
Intel i7 3770K (Not Overclocked)
AsRock Extreme 6 Z77
EVGA 660ti 3GB
Seagate Barracuda HDD 1TB (Windows Installation Drive)
Western Digital Caviar Blue HDD 1TB
Thermaltake 600W Power Supply
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler
2x4GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1600 MHz
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz

Solution
If DISM can't fix it, I think you need to burn an installer using the media creation tool and think about a fresh install.

if it can fix it, I would burn a new image to replace the backup image you had.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It sounds like the image you used (the backup one) is just as corrupted as the version it replaced.

Download a fresh iso from here: Win 10 media creation tool

Mount it in File Explorer (see http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3579-iso-img-file-mount-unmount-windows-10-a.html)

Now in a command prompt (Admin)
try the following and replace X with the drive letter attached to ISO

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

if that works, run an SFC /scannow afterwards and it should fix any problem dll.

ScourgeTH

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012

Downloading and mounting the ISO from MediaCreation and I'll let you know how it turns out. Never seen this solution before so fingers crossed :p

Colif

Win 11 Master
it may not work, it depends on the ISO having same version as you have installed. So if your win 10 not up to date, it will fail.

Good luck. I would have just suggested a basic DISM command but I suspect it would have failed.

ScourgeTH

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012

Welp....looks like that idea is out the window. Made sure windows was up to date before running which it was, and the DISM command failed. I also tried the basic DISM command i researched a couple hours ago. Error I got was "Error 87 - Error occcurred while processing the command. Ensure that the command-line arguments are valid." All out of ideas again :/

ScourgeTH

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012

Yep, triple checked the typing of the line made sure it was correct and it is, I'm running some other DISM commands to make sure that the ISO versions are compatible.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If DISM can't fix it, I think you need to burn an installer using the media creation tool and think about a fresh install.

if it can fix it, I would burn a new image to replace the backup image you had.

Solution

ScourgeTH

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012

Sounds good. I'm just running DISM one more time before headed to bed, it's almost 2am here and im about to lose my mind working on this PC. The ISO i created is compatible with my OS so that's a plus. I'll update in the morning with what happens. I'll also try a complete fresh install from a newly created Boot Disc. All of my fresh installs i did today were from the "Reset this PC" option and my backup Image. Thanks for all the help, I feel like it's just corrupt DLL files now and not a hardware issue.

ScourgeTH

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012

Got everything to work with your suggestion of a fresh install. Instead of doing the fresh install from the built in option, I burned the image to a blank disk, ran the installation CD, reinstalled windows 10 pro and all the applications that were providing DLL errors are working flawlessly now. I'm gonna create a restore point for today in case this happens again. The only thing that still gives me an error is my Motherboard Drivers/utilities installation CD which gives a separate error not related to the other problem but i guess I don't need the drivers anyway since windows 10 installs almost all of them for you. Thanks for your help. I'll be sure to keep this CD in case this happens again.