Will using 1440p on this 4k monitor look terrible?

DayShadow

Reputable
May 12, 2014
I plan to build a new computer here soon with this configuration http://pcpartpicker.com/list/C4W4qk and this monitor https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-U28E590D-28-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00YD3DBOC i know that since this is a 4k monitor and i will be buying a GTX 1070 that 4k gaming will not be very good with modern games however i do not plan to 4k game with modern games with this monitor but to game at 1440p with it. I want this monitor however because it seems like a really good value and i want the large screen and high resolution for business related purposes like stock trading so the ability too throw up 4 different windows on a large screen at 4k is invaluable. So back to the question. Will dropping the res from 4k to 1440p look like blurry ass garbage same for if you drop the res on a 1080p monitor?

Solution
That's not how scaling works. It's got more pixels to work with than 1080p so looks better, there is less it has to create, less blending. They don't duplicate pixels, it's most likely bicubic so it's always blending with less than native. Change the res on your monitor and see for yourself.

genthug

Honorable
Yes it will. You'll be used to the 4k of the monitor, and not the 1440p, so once you drop it for the games it's going to look far far blurrier than it should. I would recommend to get a 1440 monitor of the same size. That monitor is also a Free Sync monitor when you're going with NVidia. That being said, it's not going to end up being any different than you getting that monitor and just dropping the resolution, other than your minds perception of it. So, there's that to think about.

1080p scales better to 4K than 1440p. It's easy for a 4K TV to scale 1080p to 4K, since it's just 4 pixels for every one, double the length and width 1920x1080 x2 is 3840x2160. Easy peasy, and looks pretty decent still.

1440p is 2560x1440. It doesn't fit easily into 3840x2160 and thus can look worse.

At least this is experience playing with my 4K TV and my PC and trying every resolution. Since my TV can do 120hz at 1080p, gaming at that resolution looks awesome since the 120hz is smooth as butter and the pixels look good being quadrupled.

4K monitors funtion at 60Hz when in their native mode which is 4k.

Make sure the monitor will go to higher refresh rates, since the electronics for a 60Hz monitor vs a 144Hz monitor are very, very different.

Most flat panel monitors work best at their native resolution. trying to force a 4k monitor to 1920x1080 or 2560x1080 most of the time will look horrible, even at 60Hz, and even worse yet if you attempt to force it to 144Hz. A large percentage of the 4K monitors will simply refuse to go there.

Bottom line. If you want a 144Hz monitor, buy a 144Hz monitor. A 4k monitor is not a 144Hz monitor.

Where did you get 144hz from? No one mentioned it but you.

And have tried 1080p on a 4K? It's not that bad as it scaled nicely.

DayShadow

Reputable
May 12, 2014
Everything that i am reading here it seems that i should be fine dropping the resolution of the monitor when needed to accommodate the frame rate. In any case i will still have my old 1080p monitor aswell so should i need to drop the res on more demanding games and not want butchered quality. It will be nice overall to have a 4k display to do work on, web browse, and to play older titles in 4k. I am aching to fire up some Fallout 3 with high res texture mods at 4k.

That's not how scaling works. It's got more pixels to work with than 1080p so looks better, there is less it has to create, less blending. They don't duplicate pixels, it's most likely bicubic so it's always blending with less than native. Change the res on your monitor and see for yourself.

Solution