Second monitor staying in standby - not detected - sometimes

eeahfeeam

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
Hi, I've had no end of issues with windows 10 after an upgrade from windows 7 (which I had little issues with). When starting windows 10 the first boot, my second monitor is not detected (it remains in standby) but when I restart the computer (sometimes) it will then detect the second monitor (during bootup - the little blue windows icon thinggy). Or, if when I'm in windows (after not being detected) if I unplug the DVI-D cable to the second monitor and plug it back in, it will detect the monitor fine and bring it out of standby.

When its detected the monitor, and I restart windows it detects it fine again when it boots into windows, even if I leave my computer off for a couple of minutes, its fine, but if I leave it off for 15 to 20 mines and turn it on again, same problem... it won't detect the monitor again.

I have a Syncmaster 2233RZ on a dual link DVI-D and a Viewsonic VX2239 on a single link DVI-D (this is the one with the issue)

I've used DDU and uninstalled all the graphics drivers and reinstalled the latest ones and I'm still getting the same issue. I know there are various issues with second monitors not being detected but these normally appearing (and greyed out) in the real screen resolution thing from the control panel but my second one isnt (it doesn't detect it if I click the detect button either). I have the latest 368.69 driver installed.

System Specs:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 965
Deneb 45nm Technology

RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.LTD 790FX-GD70(MS-7577) (CPU1)

Graphics
VX2239 SERIES (1920x1080@60Hz)
SyncMaster (1680x1050@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (Gigabyte)

Storage
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 ATA Device (SATA)
931GB Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 ATA Device (SATA)
698GB Hitachi HDT721075SLA380 ATA Device (SATA)

Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device
HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 ATA Device

Audio
Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)

Solution
So after several emails with gigabyte support the culprit was a combination of something called 'flexdisplay' and a power supply on the way out. Ive replaced the psu with a new one and everything is now working fine.

Happy now :)

eeahfeeam

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
Anyone? I'm running out of time to send the gpu card back... Is this an issue with the card? Windows? I'm at wits end.

I've swapped over monitors (put my main monitor in the second port and the one which was not being detected in the primary dvi port and no surprise, my main monitor is not being detected. What I find weird is that it will be detected on the second boot.

Colif

Win 11 Master
you can turn off fast boot, it might help: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

Have you updated motherboard drivers to latest versions, it could be a power saving glitch though it is strange it only happens to one monitor.

can you try monitor on another PC to see if it does same thing? does it work if you only have it attached on boot instead of both screens?

i had a GTX 960 but it was replaced as it couldn't run my monitor desktop fast enough, card came before i knew i was getting desktop.

I added a few more tags so more people might see this now :)

eeahfeeam

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
This is driving me crazy. I've turned off the quick boot thing in windows and still having the same issue. It happens to any monitor thats plugged into the second DVI port but whats weird is that when I unplug the monitor and leave one plugged into the second dvi only it detects and uses it fine.

Another thing I've noticed is that if I turn my pc off from the wall (so no power is going to the pc at all) and theb turn the power back on, it will always boot and detect both monitors. Its only when I have power going to the PC with it off (my motherboard still has lights on inside the case but is off) and its been off for a while (like over 15 to 20 mins).

Could it be a power supply issue or a gpu issue... i dunno if I sould rma the card or not.

eeahfeeam

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
So after several emails with gigabyte support the culprit was a combination of something called 'flexdisplay' and a power supply on the way out. Ive replaced the psu with a new one and everything is now working fine.

Happy now :)

Solution

eeahfeeam

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
Yeah, well, the person at gigabyte suggested that it might be mis-detecting using the flexdisplay because of issues with the power supply (they had asked if anything else weird had happened to my PC since updating to windows 10, I told them I had an event id 41 which I'd never had before). They suggested that I replace the PSU before sending the card back to where I bought it. I bought one that day and put it in... and... fingers crossed, but the problem has been resolved.

Thanks for the advice you have given me though.