What happened to my sound?

bjwest1977

Distinguished
May 11, 2015
I recently did a windows update to my windows 10 and while, none of the updates appeared to have anything to do with audio all of a sudden my sound is not working! I have gone through the regular checks of drivers, even went back to previous versions, uninstalled etc but nothing.

My only saviour is the fact that when I play a video I can clearly see in 'volume mixer' that the green lights are moving (although not system sounds) indicating that there is audio supposed to be coming out of the speakers!

One thing I have noticed though is my laptop (HP Envy) is making some clicking noises. Is it possible that my sound card has packed up?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

It sounds like you don't have the right driver for your audio. Get that driver from your hardware's manufacturer and nowhere else. When you upgrade, MS does a best effort to give you the right drivers, but that's not always good enough. Looks like yours is a case in point.

Good luck.

bjwest1977

Distinguished
May 11, 2015

I updated my drivers using Easy Driver and I also ran the most updated version of HP Assistant where it searches and installs any relevant updates. When I attempted to play a sample sound during troubleshooting there would be a slight pop/crackle from the speaker instead of any hint of an actual sound.