Bridging 2 Router that has Their Own Internet Connection

Gugun_

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
what will happened if I bridge 2 router that has their own internet connection?
for example:
I have 2 internet connection from different ISP and then i connect each of them to different router. then i bridge these router. will it increase download/upload speed?

i would like to try it, but currently my other internet connection is down for a couple of days
what's the other benefit of this kind of connection?

RealBeast

Titan
Nope, bridging the two will cause problems but will not increase speeds as it cannot aggregate the two. Packets can only follow one route at a time per TCP/IP protocol, and packets sent by a device will be returned to that sending device.

You can overlap the networks but that is complicated and will not provide any improvement and will likely also cause you issues.

If you want to use both on one network, the simple solution is a dual WAN router, although that will not aggregate the bandwidth it can provide failover and load balancing.

My suggestion is that you leave things as they are and just assign users to divide the bandwidth manually keeping the two distinct networks.

Gugun_

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

thanks

Gugun_

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

but if i only wanna join the network of the two router can i do it without disabling one of those internet connection?

RealBeast

Titan
While it is *possible*, you do not have the knowledge to do so as it will require setting up static routes and manually selecting which devices use which router, and it will very likely cause a number of other issues and instabilities with your current equipment. In other words, practically no.

By far for your network, the best and most stable way to connect the two networks using both ISP connections is to buy a dual WAN router.

If you only want to use a particular computer on both networks, that's easier. Just attach it to both routers with an additional wired or wireless adapter. Then you can configure the priority of the adapters in the specific computer network control panel.

I probably should have asked sooner, but why do you want to connect the two networks, what are you trying to accomplish? There may be alternatives depending on your needs.