GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 Debug code "D4"

PterodactylDanceParty

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
When I cold boot my new system, I get a "D4" debug code instead of the expected "A0" code (it looks like a "04", but from looking at the manual I can see that doesn't exist so it'd have to be the "D4"). Upon restarting the system, or turning it off and then immediately back on, it will boot to an "A0" code as expected, so this only happens on cold boot. While the system is running with the expected "A0" code, it never switches to a "D4", this is something that only seems to occur during the boot process. This supposedly means I have a "PCI resource allocation error. Out of Resources", but while this code is being displayed the system runs fine and there is no degradation of performance anywhere in the system, and it runs stable under heavy load with the "D4" being displayed. I have enabled a 2400 MHz XMP profile on my ram and overclocked my CPU, so right off the bat we can probably assume it might have something to do with that. The thing is, this board should be perfectly fine with this overclock. The CPU has only been pushed to 4.6 GHz. Perhaps a hiccup during the boot sequence causes it to appear, only for it to only persist on the display because no other codes come through after that to clear it. Just want to make sure everything is okay and won't crap out on me later. After all it does run fine, but better safe than sorry. Has anyone any experience with this? I'm either looking for someone to tell me it's nothing to worry about, or that I should RMA it because it's a sign of instability to come (I would REALLY like to avoid an RMA, or any downtime on my system at all).

I have spent some time researching this issue, but have only found instances of this occurring with boards that are not mine. Listening to the advice on those threads anyways I have run memtest and come back with zero errors with my XMP profile enabled.

Here is my system info:
MOBO: GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 (1.0)
BIOS: F5
RAM: F4-2400C15D-16GVR
CPU: i7-6700k (overclocked to 4.6 GHz with an offset voltage of 0.060 on VCORE)
CPU Cooler: H115i
SSD: BP5 M.2 240GB SATA 3 SSD
GPU: MSI GTX 970
PSU: EVGA 500w Bronze

PterodactylDanceParty

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
Not good for science, but I did two things at once and the "problem" seems to have gone away. First thing I did was rearrange the way my triple monitors were plugged into my GPU so that the default output was on the center display. I thought this might be affecting it because the D4 popped up just as windows would switch the displays around to match my setup. I figured maybe that moment where it switched is enough to cause a hiccup in the PCIe during boot, so I better make it so it doesn't have to switch (before my bios would pop up on the right monitor).
The other thing I did was remove a HDD. No reasoning here, I just read somewhere it may help. I've since put the HDD back in, and the D4 does not come back, but I'm not 100% sure I let the computer sit long enough for it to be a valid confirmation. Still, my vote is on the former solution rather than the latter. Hope that helps anyone that finds this thread in the future.

EDIT: I started up after a longer period of time being off and I got the D4 again, so I guess it is the hard drive. Maybe my PSU is the issue? Weird

Warbow

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017

Have the same problem with the GA-Z270x-Gaming 5. Ever have any more problems with it? Computer runs fine. Is this just some sort of thing these Gigabyte MBs do? I figure as long as the PC keeps running well I'm not going to worry about it.

ALASKAMEN

Prominent
May 2, 2017
We have the same board, and same problem, D4 error on first startup, but when I reboot, the D4 error goes away. Do you also have an FPS drop? or low FPS? I have an Aorus GTX 1070 having FPS issues only 120-150 FPS playing CSGO, maybe the problem is in the PCI slot?

Leonardofmed

Prominent
May 9, 2017

Same here! Sorry about english ( i'm from brazil)

My problem is exactly the same!
I came to think that it was my GPU (EVGA GTX 1070), I sold to buy a new model (gtx 1080 or 1080 ti) and to my surprise, even without the gpu installed, I got the D4 in the first startup and it disappears when I Restart.
At first I thought it was the GPU, then I considered the PSU and switched the cable that fed the GPU ... the start improved and then came back.
Now I'm sure it was not my gpu and I do not know what I do! (At least I'm going to upgrade). I did not feel drastic FPS crashes in CS ...

I do not know what else to do!
Setup:

MOBO: z270x gaming 5 Aorus
CPU: i7 7700k + Cooler Master masterliquid 240
Memory: 16 GB Corsair vengeance led 3000hz (2x8)
120gb SSD + HDD 1tb
GPU: EVGA gtx 1070
PSU: Corsair TX750w
Case: Aerocool aero 1000 (2x 140mm fans front, 240mm radiator top, 1x 120mm fan back)

mikefabri09

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017
Dont know if people are still looking for a solution to the cold boot "D4" code issue on Gaming 5 gigabyte boards, but i made a windows option change and i have not received the D4 code since. Now, I have windows 10 64-bit, so I dont recall if this setting was in the previous versions of windows so this "fix" I can only confidently say worked with windows 10, dont know about 8 etc. The path I took to get to the setting was:

Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> and the sub-option "change what the power buttons do" under power options.

I then proceeded to uncheck "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" box. Windows states that this option helps with start-up after a full shut down and that restarting isnt effected by this option. Ever since I unchecked this box, I havent seen the "D4" code upon a start-up after shut down. I will also say, I havent seen a start up speed difference, but I have a ssd so maybe this "bonus" option only applies to HDDs. Hope this helps.

japiart

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
I get mine every time I mode BIOS on mine RX 580(for mining). If I revert BIOS to original and reboot code D4 dissapear.
Found this thread when trying to figure out what is D4 code so this might help you guys. Cheers

Nov 4, 2018
"Dont know if people are still looking for a solution to the cold boot "D4" code issue on Gaming 5 gigabyte boards, but i made a windows option change and i have not received the D4 code since. Now, I have windows 10 64-bit, so I dont recall if this setting was in the previous versions of windows so this "fix" I can only confidently say worked with windows 10, dont know about 8 etc. The path I took to get to the setting was:

Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> and the sub-option "change what the power buttons do" under power options.

I then proceeded to uncheck "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" box. Windows states that this option helps with start-up after a full shut down and that restarting isnt effected by this option. Ever since I unchecked this box, I havent seen the "D4" code upon a start-up after shut down. I will also say, I havent seen a start up speed difference, but I have a ssd so maybe this "bonus" option only applies to HDDs. Hope this helps."

This corrective action also worked for me. The separate graphics card consideration was not a possibility on my configuration, as I was utilizing the motherboard integrated video. I had previously updated the BIOS from version 5 to version 10, but this made no change to the cold boot D4 display code. However, disabling the Windows 10 fast startup by unchecking it immediately eliminated the D4 error code upon my next cold boot. I doubt that the D4 code is really meaningful, but it is a cold boot anomaly that is triggered with the Windows fast startup process following a complete shutdown.