Save your Best Answers! They'll come in useful when the site removes them.

Hello all,
This thread is aimed at users of the forum that answer questions, not just who ask.

You know those emails you get when a thread you follow gets a reply? Or when it's solved? Maybe you solved it... Hooray!

Anyways, please save your emails. I created a new folder in my Gmail and am putting all the "Question Solved" and "Best Answer Selected" emails in said folder. This is because the forum has been experiencing technical difficulties and some users are losing large amounts of Best Answers. These are the emails I'm talking about.

If you have unsubscribed from the emails and are no longer receiving them, you may wish to begin receiving them again. Here is the page to manage your subscriptions, it's under Account Settings.

IDK if any moderators had posted this yet or not, but I didn't see one so I'm making it myself.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope that this can be used to prevent the loss of user badges here on Tom's.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's a temp glitch that will be worked out next week. you're not gonna lose your badges. it's happened before and everything worked out once they got it fixed.

no need to start people panicking over lost BA's :)

My new goal: Get negative best answers.

That shouldn't be difficult.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Hey all,

No need to panic. We'll investigate when the tech and server folks return on Monday morning. If there's a server glitch, nothing lost will remain lost. BA's are a running count, not quite something that can evaporate.

-JP

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
No problem!

I believe we've diagnosed the issue on our end. Turns out it wasn't a server glitch, but rather a small hiccup in list processing for Best Answers. Roughly 1,200 Best Answers which were previously assigned were un-assigned. Luckily it should be a straightforward fix and quite easy to address. Give us a week, we'll get this squared away - and figure out how to make it not happen again. You may notice some mild fluctuations (more with greater volume of your solved response rate) while we rectify the issue.

Our apologies for the momentary inconvenience. Pardon our dust while we tidy things up. :)

-JP

Yeah I figured that from your post above mine, I was agreeing with it.

Well, jpishgar said it may vary more if you earn them faster (at least that's how I understood it), so it makes sense that you're getting hit harder than I am.