Strange things happening since W10 update.

JefersonEuclides

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Hello guys,

I've been using W7 for a long time, I tried W8, had some issues similar to those I'll list here, then switched back to 7 waiting for W10.
Now I've finally updated to W10 and here is what's been happening:

- From time to time, I still haven't found a pattern of things that causes this, my system literally freezes, the screen goes black and if I'm listening to a song or watching a video I can still hear the sound for ~5 secs, then everything freezes, just as if I had shut down the computer.
I suspect it might be something related to my video driver or card because the moment the screen goes black I see something similar to TV when we force it to shut down (removing the cable).
- Laggy system, I have 8giga ram, I5 2500k, 1TB disk, AMD r7 260x, 450w psu, I never had issues with slow system or laggy softwares, until now that I've updated to W10.
- The system doesn't seem to be totally shut down, every time I shut the pc down, every USB thing I have kinda keeps turned on, my headset (Corsair Vengeance 1500), my G27, Xbox One Controller, even my USB Hub have some kind of light, and that light keeps turned on when the the system is completely shut down, even for days (I made this test), unless I turn my PSU off or remove the cable...

Does anyone know any way that I could fix those things, or if it's normal to happen?

PS 1: I updated using that 'free update' from W7.
PS 2: I updated my video card driver, the black screen still happens.
PS 3: I tagged GPU, PSU and Motherboards because I think these things might be related to them, although I don't really know how.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What brand/model is your PSU? Freezes could also be your ram so you can check that using http://www.memtest86.com/

check the web site of your motherboard and see if you have latest drivers and /or bios - this could fix the shut down behavior as likely bios doesn't support the new shut down method.
Newer drivers might help the lag too

JefersonEuclides

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

Okay, as soon as I get home I'll try that.
Is it "too tricky" to update the bios?
PS: My PSU is a Corsair something Gold, I'll check it and edit my answer once I get home.
I think it's a CS 450M

Colif

Win 11 Master

JefersonEuclides

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

Oh, that's new for me. I'll try that once I make the tests as Colif said.

JefersonEuclides

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
hahaha I didn't.

You first answered talking about fixes, and then SkyNetRising answered talking about Windows, when you answered the thing that I wouldn't need a key I thought "the guy talking about windows answered, so let me check the other guy's name" hahaha

I created a little confusion here... haha

Colif

Win 11 Master
what he said is possible, updates can do strange things. If you froze a lot I would say its not a windows problem but if its only sometimes it could be drivers. Fresh start gets rid of old drivers and if errors continue, we can go back to updating drivers instead and looking at hardware :)

JefersonEuclides

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
hmmm, Okay, I'll download W10 and try a clean install. I'm just still curious if the "auto validate" will work '-'

PS: I won't mark the thread as solved because it will be easier to, either, ask more things if something happens, or to mark the right answer and explain more things if necessary.