Occassional mouse lag. Can't figure out which component is causing it.

andrewfmorton

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Hello everyone.

I'm essentially at wit's end here or I wouldn't have posted. I built my computer a couple years ago and haven't had really any issues. Starting last week however, I had noticeable mouse (USB corded) lag that would occur every 5 seconds or so. It freezes and then updates to where the mouse would be had I moved it during that time. I tried a different mouse with no luck. I don't know if it's system lag, or something is messed up with a device driver and what not. Any advice would be of great help.

Update: Just moved and the mouse lag has become more frequent. When it's at its worst it will be completely frozen or freezing around every second.
- keyboard is not frozen when mouse is frozen
- have tried switching usb ports
- tried removing the mouse from the device manager list and plugging back in (used the update driver option too)
- have tried removing the usb ports from the device manger list as well and restarting
- graphics driver is up to date through use of nvidia geforce experience
- tried to update the bios through the manufacturers website, but it said i had the most up to date

Intel(R) Core (TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz
GeForce GTX 770
ASUS z87-c motherboard
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

Solution
I have seen this before but just trying to remember solution

try these: http://windowsreport.com/cursor-freezes-jumps-disappears-windows-8-10/

Try changing your power plan to high performance, set PC and monitor to never turn off while PC powered on, and in advanced power options, set it so hdd never turns off

andrewfmorton

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

Yeah was supposed to be 4670 haha. I deleted the USB controllers in device manager and restarted. My GPU is up to date.
Also, so additional info that might help, I don't know. My mouse has a dpi button with a light that will change colors to indicate levels. When my mouse freezes the light can no longer change colors until I have unplugged my mouse and plugged it back in so that it will move again.

andrewfmorton

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

Updating the mouse driver didn't do anything. Both of the mouses I tested have had the issue. One is just a normal mouse.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have seen this before but just trying to remember solution

try these: http://windowsreport.com/cursor-freezes-jumps-disappears-windows-8-10/

Try changing your power plan to high performance, set PC and monitor to never turn off while PC powered on, and in advanced power options, set it so hdd never turns off

Solution