BSOD with a seemingly ever changing source

v1k_ng

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
I used to think I was decent with computers but I've appeared to have met my match.

Issue: I recently moved and took my tower to my office, removed internal components and followed generally accepted practices, and once I plugged in everything and booted up my monitors, I only had display on one. Having had this happened before, I reseated both of my gfx cards assuming I just hadn't seated them properly. However, rather than fix the error, my computer started blue screening.

After scouring as many forums as I could read and attempting a host of fixes (detailed below) the best result I've gotten is a (sometimes) stable boot when using the integrated gfx on the motherboard which has begun to fail as well.

Generally, it would blue screen either directly after the windows load screen (before login), 30 seconds after loading the desktop, or after attempting to run any process (open file explorer, run a program etc) or it would randomly restart itself with no bsod.

The BSOD errors I get vary with no discernible pattern and include:
bad_pool_header
kmode_exception_not_handled
driver_irql_not_less_or_equal
bugcode_usb_driver
system_thread_exception_not_handled

The office doesn't have internet yet so I was limited in being able to transfer diagnostic tools and the computer isn't staying on long enough to grab .dmp files or any other logs so I'll do my best to describe based on what I could get in short spurts.

I had whocrashed installed from a previous fixed error and while I can't get the full result text, it always associated the issue with ntoskrnl.exe as a result of a "driver that could not be identified"

Fixes attempted in order:
- On the advice of the forums, I went to device manager, scanned for hardware changes and attempted to find any obvious errors, at one point the 3 slave drives all had the error icon but that was only on one boot occasion.
- I ran memtest86 which found ~2500 errors so I replaced both RAM cards, problem persisted
- Assumed it might have been something associated with either my nividia drivers (downloaded an update just before moving) but the drivers didn't show up in device manager
- tried each configuration of graphics cards (1 in both slots, swapped the slots both were in etc)
- removed graphics cards completely and ran through integrated gfx - stable for several boots, then occasional but less common BSOD
- added single card back in
- Still assuming it was a driver, I removed all HD connections except primary driver (no luck) so I reinstalled a freshly formatted windows) with no luck - the only change was when the computer crashed windows would initiate crash diagnostic and repair which would load it to the desktop and cycle through this several times before BSODing again
- removed cards, booted from integrated gfx, still nothing.

So that's where I'm at now - I've tried most of what was described as potential fixes but when one thing starts to work, a new error happens. So I'm wondering if I wasn't as awesome at transporting my rig as I thought and my motherboard is [at least partially] fried, or something else entirely. Any thoughts or suggestions to the next attempt would be great. At this point I'm probably going to build a new computer anyways but if I can get this going I'd like to use it as a render farm.

System specs:
Windows 8.1 (upgraded to windows 10 in fix attempts)
GTX 650 TI Boost (EVGA) (not-sli'd)
3.5 Ghz i7 (ivy bridge)
RAM: 16gigs (2x8 Corsair)
PSUL 850w corsair
ASRock z77 extreme 3 mobo
Samsung 120gig SSD primary
3 WD 2tb slave drives

Solution
one consistency is they all are driver related. Make sure you have these drivers: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme3/?cat=Download&os=Win1064

Possibly check 8.1 driver page as there were more there, use the ones that don't have win 10 versions, they are perfectly safe on win 10.

possibly update bios if there is a newer one than what you have now.

none of them are obviously gpu related.

follow option one here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-bsod-minidump-configure-create-windows-10-a.html
then do this step below Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

this creates a file in c/windows/minidump
copy that file somewhere else
now upload the copy to a cloud server and share link here

someone...

Colif

Win 11 Master
one consistency is they all are driver related. Make sure you have these drivers: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme3/?cat=Download&os=Win1064

Possibly check 8.1 driver page as there were more there, use the ones that don't have win 10 versions, they are perfectly safe on win 10.

possibly update bios if there is a newer one than what you have now.

none of them are obviously gpu related.

follow option one here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-bsod-minidump-configure-create-windows-10-a.html
then do this step below Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

this creates a file in c/windows/minidump
copy that file somewhere else
now upload the copy to a cloud server and share link here

someone who can read the logs will help you sort this out :)

Solution

v1k_ng

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

You're a beautiful person, thank you :D I'll try that later today and update