Having a problem with Gsync/Vsync

Lanarchy

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
Ok, before I write this, I just want to say that despite the fact that this is my first post ever on these forums, I am not trolling. Please believe me in that this is truly my experience, and I would be the happiest guy on Earth if you guys could change my mind on this.

So, last year I bought the PG278Q Gsync monitor. But wait, before I go on, maybe I should list some of my specs. i7-4770k CPU, GTX980 Ti GPU, 16GB Corsair RAM, Z87-G45 mobo...dont think anything else matters. So yeah, got the Gsync monitor. I was SOOOO hyped for this monitor. I was like omg, all the stutters in my games will be gone ! (I know, engine stutters don't count).

I get the monitor, pay very much attention to making SURE Gsync is on everywhere, in Control Panel, annnnd....I don't see any difference. I start playing Witcher 3, for example...and I'm like, how is this more smooth ? Pop fraps, fps seems to go from whatever to whatever even on Vsync ? I am a PC guy so I know my way around settings, I do make sure Gsync is OFF when I use Vsync, and I'm like...this is not any different. So ok, I start playing GTA V, same experience. FPS goes from 101, 62, 66, 74, whatever.... and that's on Vsync. I switch to Gsync and yep, same FPS. Goes from whatever to whatever.

Then I thought ok, maybe my PG278Q is broken, so I replace it with the PG279Q. Well, same here again. ANY game I try, Vsync gives me the same fps fluctuation that Gsync IS SUPPOSED TO FIX !

Now, I know what you're all thinking right now. "WHY THE HELL are you complaining ?" Well, I would just like to be amazed by the supposed difference I'm supposed to see that everyone is raving about ?

I assure you, I can make dozens of videos if you want me to, I can show you from my phone, recording my monitor, you will see fraps giving me the same fps whether Gsync is on or Vsync is.

So what am I missing ? Why is Gsync so great ? I've just done a test before typing this. Played GTA V, Witcher 3, FFXIV, Mad Max, WoW, Borderlands 2, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Call of Duty Black Ops 3, and FOR EACH AND EVERYONE OF THEM, the experience and fps was all the exact same on both Gsync and Vsync. And please, yes, I know how to make sure Gsync is off when I want it to be Off. I go into Nvidia Control Panel, Gsync, uncheck it, and then in 3d settings, I select "Fixed Refresh" for technology, and force Vsync On in Vertical Sync.

So, can anyone tell me how Gsync makes anything better ?

And thank you. I am not trolling here, I am just a very disappointed customer having bought 2 Gsync monitors.

Solution
I can see it in the Witcher part as well. Think about this - in the next two or three years as games put more load on a 980ti-class card, the framerate will vary more wildly and gsync will come into its own.

Lanarchy

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016

I was expecting this kind of reply and, politely, I'll ask you to actually read my post, I specifically mentioned how I made sure Gsync was On, or Off, on my tests. I know how Gsync works, it's just that my actual experience doesn't reflect that.

Lanarchy

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
No problem :) and thank you for replying.

What technical support ? Nvidia ? Asus ? They'll probably do the same and tell me "Do you know how to activate Gsync ?"

So infuriating when you know you've done all those steps already.

I do think the problem is me, but I can only show what I see, you know ? "Gsync FIXES FPS DROPPING FROM 60 TO 30 !!" ehhh not it doesn't. Vsync does that too. Welcome to 2016, triple buffering does it as well.

Lanarchy

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
There is no driver, as far as I know. Or if there is one, it'll be the same as the PG278Q, it'll only be a driver to show the actual PG279Q name instead of "Generic Monitor".

And yes I use DisplayPort, the same cable that came with the monitor.

To be clear, Gsync IS actually working on my monitor, my complaint is that it is not making games any better than Vsync is doing already.

If so its may actually be the monitor. The whole point is that it lets your GPU make as many frames as possible then sysnc's each one to your monitor as long as it does not go above your monitors refresh rate so in most cases people just limit the fps to 144.

v sync and g sync are about the same thing. kind of two was just to fix the same issue.(three if you look at amd version)

following from https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/654175/g-sync-vs-adaptive-vsync/

"With regular monitors, the display refreshes at a fixed interval of milliseconds. V-sync makes the GPU wait until the monitor is ready before sending the frame. G-sync is the other way around, as it lets the monitor refresh whenever the GPU finishes rendering the frame rather than following a fixed schedule. You can see more details here: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync "

g-sync will not lock your frame rate as it will refresh your screen when the frame is ready. different frames take different amounts of time. so one frame could take 3ms the next one could take 50ms. so I don't see how it really makes anything smoother it just prevents artifacts.

Lanarchy

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016

Again, theory. I'm not speaking theory here, I'm speaking actual experience. Do you own a Gsync monitor ?

Lanarchy

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016

Most bad reviews are about the IPS Glow, which is normal for IPS monitors. And there have been lots of reports of bad QA on both PG278Q and PG279Q regarding bleed, and my monitor has no bleed (so thankful). But, again, my issue is Gsync does not do anything for me Vsync doesn't do already,

Have you been to testufo? Turn gsync on, set display type to gsync, turn vsync off and go to that site. There are many tests there that clearly show the effects of both varying frame rates and gsync on/off. Clear as day on my gsync monitor.

That being said, with such a crazy high refresh as you have, any tearing with any kind of sync off happen on screen for less than half as long as on a 60Hz panel and will be much harder to detect.

Some games it will be more apparent than others. Here's a video that shows three settings side by side and you can very much see the stutter in witcher 3 and far cry with gsync off.
https://youtu.be/QU8dnhFZKmM

Lanarchy

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
Yes I've done the Ufo tests, and on those, I can clearly see a difference. Same for the Nvidia Pendulum demo. It's in GAMES that there is no difference anymore.

I have watched that video yes, and it's a shame I don't have FarCry4 on PC because I would SERIOUSLY like to try that panning camera test, because it's the only moment in the entire video where you can see any difference.

TRENDING THREADS