Computer wont start after blue screen

Zachary270798

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
So I have a HP Pavilion laptop just a standard one 500gb with 8gb ram I think, not sure about specs but I have a huge problem.

So I was playing a game of League Of Legends usually works perfectly fine, but this one time I encountered an error while playing. Midway the computer completely froze for about 10 seconds before giving me a blue screen with a ":(" and had an error something along the lines of ERROR_THREAD_STUCK.

After this it started loading for an error report and then restarted. But upon this restart it got stuck in a loop I left it for 20 minutes - half an hour and it was still stuck so I had to force a shut down by the power button. Now this is where things stated to gethe really stressful and annoying as I try to start the computer I press the button and it turned on I can hear the fans running yet nothing comes up on the screen usually I would get a cursor or even a light on my mouse within 10 to 20 seconds. I left it for 20 minutes still nothing except the fan was 10x louder than usual.

None of they keys are even working so I can't even get a recovery screen I've lookedited high and low for something similar but everyone has something different I've tried letting it rest, nothing. Just a really loud fan. I've been at it for 4 hours now and I just can't find ANYTHING. And it's killing me.

Now all I get is a completely black screen with a gradual build up to a loud fan. No matter how long I leave it, nothing different.

Solution
Please remove the battery from the laptop, unplug the laptop, then press the power button for five seconds to drain any remaining power.

Put it back together and plug it back in after ten minutes and try again. See if that helps.

However, Error Thread Stuck makes me think that someone's wrong with your CPU.
Please remove the battery from the laptop, unplug the laptop, then press the power button for five seconds to drain any remaining power.

Put it back together and plug it back in after ten minutes and try again. See if that helps.

However, Error Thread Stuck makes me think that someone's wrong with your CPU.

Solution
That was just a simple tip actually, I did not expect it to fully solve the problem and I expect the problem to keep occurring more and more frequently until you update your BIOS.

Can you please send me the make and model? Also, if you customized it at checkout, could you tell me what parts you had removed/installed differently from the base model?

Zachary270798

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
It's a HP Pavilion laptop, 500gp anD 4gb ram. The processor is AND A4-5000 APU with radeon HD graphics.

I've left the laptop stock and not changed a single thing. The only thing I have changed on the laptop are settings to suit best performance.

Model looks good. I've found another thread on a website that I've never heard of that was about something similar, but it isn't quite the same problem.

Identify the problem before applying a solution. Because it's not the exact problem, I cannot recommend applying the same solution.

Zachary270798

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
The only problem I can possibly think to identify is when playing league of legends. That's the first time I had encountered it and it was while playing. Since I've been able to get the laptop up and running again I've been using chrome, on YouTube Netflix and it's been working fine like it usually would. But I don't want to confirm the problem as league because I don't want to risk going into a game and it doing the same thing and the outcome being worse or not being able to get the laptop running again.

Zachary270798

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
(Sorry about the late reply) I've updated the BIOS and everything seems to be running okay, my HP support assistant had it recommended to do and automatically updated the BIOS set to my model.

HardwareProbs

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
I have exactly same problem as you had. Please enlighten with the solution. How did you get up and running?

Hello HardwareProbs, the solution that I gave Zachary270798 was rather generic and doesn't always work, but it's a good first step.

When I see ERROR_THREAD_STUCK, I can see multiple possible causes for this problem. The first cause is that there is a conflict in BIOS settings. To clear BIOS settings, you will need to open the laptop and remove the CMOS battery for at least thirty seconds. Remember to unplug the machine, remove the main and secondary batteries (many machines only have one), and press and hold the power button for three seconds to drain any remaining power before opening the machine. After putting the machine back together, boot into BIOS and load optimized defaults, then set the BIOS date and time before starting Windows. Failing to set date/time may cause network connection issues.

The second possible cause of this problem would be that the CPU is not seated correctly in the socket. Some laptops have CPUs that are not removable, so this problem would be the end of the laptop. However, the CPUs are removable in many laptops. If your laptop has a removable CPU, I would recommend taking the CPU out and putting it back in. Remember to replace the thermal paste before mounting the cooler.

The third possible cause would be a problem within the CPU itself. If this is the case, it's likely time for a new laptop. If something killed the CPU, then there's a chance it will kill the replacement as well.