PS4 monitor for son, please advise newbie mum.

Barzette

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
I'm buying my son a new monitor for his birthday, and need some recommendations and some questions answered.
He will only be using it for PS4 gaming in his room, nothing else.
I have a budget of around $AUD500, but that can be increased a bit if necessary.
So far, he's managed for the past few years with a 42" standard definition TV. Yeah, not the best.
This is his 21st birthday, so I want to get him the best that I can on that rough budget.
I really hope to get a 27" or bigger, as there's quite a distance between where he sits to where the screen will be, I'm guessing it's 2.5m?

He usually plays on his own, so the narrow viewing angle of a TN screen is fine.

From researching this stuff, I gather that there's no point getting higher than 60hz for playing PS4?
Is that likely to change any time soon?. Is there a PS5 on the horizon?

Thank you for any help, much appreciated.

Swift5858

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
The BenQ Rl2755hm monitor is a console designed 27" gaming monitor which is under $500 aud

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/monitors/benq/benq-rl2755hm-27-1ms-led-lcd-gaming-monitor/672153/

http://gaming.benq.com/gaming-monitor/rl2755hm

It is 60hz which is all you need for the PS4.
There is very little chance that the ps4 will change to a higher refresh rate, if it does, you would have to buy a new console.
No news of the PS5 has been released, and i dont believe there will be any for a few more years

Hope this helps

Barzette

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
Hi, thanks for your reply.
My budget has now increased somewhat, to about $1,000.
I understand the PS4 is 60htz, but would you have any advise on a monitor for up around the $1,000 Mark?
Ideally, it would be quite big, as I measured his room and he actually sits 3m away from the screen.

Barzette

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016

Yeah, input lag. He used to play on my 2013 model expensive plasma, with the right settings, but couldn't stand the lag.